Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #436
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Not really true,
its absolutely true. if any devices today suffer from any fading issues in bright light it is from choices made in design to increase margin for the device by choosing lower quality or inadequate UV filter layers.

the previous issue was with leaving it out altogether. this will effect EPDs and LCDs because the TFT layer is adversely effected by UV
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #437
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Experiment with pictures and interesting DISCOVERY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think for a thread of that nature, "Which one should I buy?" would be an excellent forum.
lorenzoens and WT Sharpe,

Well, I tryed to take some pictures today (in the middle of day) with the natural daylight. After experimenting with the pictures I came to the conclusion that it is pretty tough job and I am not sure if I can do it WELL. I think I just don't have enough skills to do this kind of job WELL. I am posting here couple of the pictures (just to give you some ideas) but I am not sure if these pictures are really informative.

BUT, while experimenting with the pictures, I accidently (when I accidently mixed up the styluses for M92 and JBC) made an interesting discovery: JBC's stylus is FULLY compatible with M92 and M92's stylus is FULLY compatible with JBC!!! I was very, very suprised to discover this. Are you suprised, too? In fact, JBC's stylus (it is black and metal) seems to be made better, but it has a little sharper writing edge. M92's stylus (it is white plastic) feels a little softer on its writing edge. So sometimes I was affraid that I could scratch M92's screen with JBC's stylus. But it wasn't the case. JBC's stylus didn't scratch M92's screen. Both styluses are about the same size as you can see in the picture. And JBC's stylus feets very nicely in the stylus holder of M92's case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBC_iPad3_M92.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	85798   Click image for larger version

Name:	4_devices+2_styluses.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	85799  
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #438
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Okay, I am sorry, it wasn't meant that way.
I simply tend to be critical.
I know many of the reports on M92 and very many are very critical.
Often Pdf-files are not rendered properly, random freezing, calibration, poor navigation, and others.
So I was wondering what is your specific experience so far?
How often do you use the reader?
Could you read your documents? Did the device freeze and what did you have to do to get it going? Nothing annoying at all? Some people are waiting for firmware updates for months now, this doesn't seem to bother you.
So I was not interested in a comparison of the displays. This topic has been covered ad nauseam and everybody knows what to expect.
So all or most your expectations have been met?
geronimo

Yes. Everything listed in M92's specifications works and works well so far. Since you are not interested in a comparison of the displays, I will focus on other things. But one thing to mention: practically no annoying ghosting on M92.

Overall M92 delivers very pleasant experience for me. It is pretty quick and it is easy to customise M92 for my needs. I successfully installed and using the dictionaries that I need. Fonts, font size, margins - all these thing are easy to change and adjust for my needs. I updated the firmware from 1.6 to 1.7 and the update process was easy, too. I just connected M92 to the wall, started the firmware update, left my office and forgot about it. When I returned in about 30 min, it was already all done and M92 was ready to use.

Yes, M92 did freeze on me couple times after I did some stupid things to it. Once it was when I was setting up the Web browser and tryed to go to Onyx international website from it. Second time it happened after I copied some of my DRM protected Kindle books on it. M92 obviously didn't like that and let me know about it by freezing on me. It wasn't such a big deal to return it back to life, though. I just connected M92 to the wall, waited about 30 sec, then turned it off and back on again.

So far all my books and documents that I copied on M92 (including PDF), it read with no problem at all (except DRM protected Kindle books of cause).

I hope I answered most of your questions. If you have more questions, just let me know.

Last edited by Valentinka; 04-29-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #439
Valentinka
Zealot

Just wanted to give the last update to everyone who followed my story with JBC. Couple days ago I was contacted by Ectaco's representative. She apologized and asked what Ectaco could do for me. I answered that the best thing that Ectaco could do in my situation was to arrange my JBC's return to Ectaco. She was able to do this for me. I have JBC shipped to Ectaco today. I sincerely hope that this story is over and I can add the prefix "ex" to JBC in my profile.

Last edited by Valentinka; 04-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #440
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Well done.

Sorry, I've been away for a trip. That picture you took is nice!
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #441
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
Thanks guys for all the pics/vids/reviews to help me decide whether to get this device or not.

I was REALLY drooling over the JBC (colour e-ink OMG), but unfortunately I've started to go off it now. The ONLY thing holding me back is the darkness of the screen, looks like it won't work too reliably in normal/variable light, I would need pretty good/bright light to use it properly.
The colours ARE muted and washed out, but that really doesn't bother me too much (except for the few pics where greens and blues look almost the same).

Don't get me wrong. IF I was in a hot country or somewhere where it was sunny all the time, I would definitely get the JBC (it's not a dud device). But for readability in cloudy/rainy UK (including indoor reading) I'm more leaning towards the M92.

I do hope E-ink bring out a Triton II or something... just make that colour filter slimmer or whatever it takes to give us a whiter background.
In fact I just read that most IMAX cinemas are getting a new silver-coated screen to reflect more light back, to counter the 3D glasses letting in less light than normal
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #442
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The only place where the JBC becomes unreadable,is in lower than candle light.
That being said, it's very readable in standard environment light.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #443
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Well not unreadable, but noticeably darker background than other current (pearl) ereaders, hence slight caution about reading for long periods.

Anyway I just wish there was SOMEWHERE I could see it in person round here rather than rely on pics/vids (no physical stores in UK have it afaik, probably should have gone to some expos lol)
I see Kindles and Kobos on display in stores everywhere, so at least have an idea what B&W pearl really looks like.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #444
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Well not unreadable, but noticeably darker background than other current (pearl) ereaders, hence slight caution about reading for long periods.

Anyway I just wish there was SOMEWHERE I could see it in person round here rather than rely on pics/vids (no physical stores in UK have it afaik, probably should have gone to some expos lol)
I see Kindles and Kobos on display in stores everywhere, so at least have an idea what B&W pearl really looks like.
Where in the uk are you?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #445
The Chef
Enthusiast

London
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #446
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
London
Well I've got one in Milton Keynes, which isn't a million miles away. Do you ever come up in this direction?

Andrew
Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #447
The Chef
Enthusiast

Nah I hardly ever go up that way normally.
It's a little far for me, but of course worth making the trip to see it if one is serious about buying.

A couple of weeks ago I was really keen on JBC (and would have definitely come up there), but right now I'm leaning more towards the M92 now anyway (considering eyestrain). If I change my mind I'll let you know.

Cheers for the offer though mate, appreciate it!!

Last edited by The Chef; 06-20-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #448
andyh2000
Avid reader

It does strike me as possibly significant that someone in Italy and someone in Florida USA think the display is great, and at least one person in the UK (i.e. me) thinks it's a bit murky in anything other than full on sunshine. I think our natural light levels must really make a difference.

Andrew
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #449
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
maybe they have 2 different type of displays?
Even in a rainy day, I find no problems with the display.
If you can read a newspaper, you can read this, as many newspapers are more dark than the jbc display.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #450
mexmike
mexmike began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Color
For me the Jetbook Color was a bad investment. I bought it to be able to check my email and read books whilst traveling. That way I could leave my laptop at home.
Until Ectaco bring out the Web Browser originally advetised, this piece of expensive hardware will be a place-mat for my dinner whilst I check my gmail with my Sony PRS Daily Edition
mexmike is offline   Reply With Quote