Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
lizardcry
lizardcry began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Collaborating on Proofing of Scanned Books

Where do I post to see if someone or more folk would like to collaborate on proofing a large book converted to text via OCR (but w/ all the typical mangling such process carries)? The goal to have a clean ebook.

Thx
lizardcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
You're talking about something like Distributed Proofreaders?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If it's in the public domain then why not offer it to Distributed Proofreaders, if you don't want to correct it yourself?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and if it's not in the public domain you're probably breaking the law in giving your scans to anyone else.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
DP is good, but it'll take ages.

What's the book? I wouldn't mind lending a hand if it wasn't too onerous.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... What's the book? I wouldn't mind lending a hand if it wasn't too onerous.
I'd like to hear more about the plan too. I've proofed about 100 pages now at DP, but might be willing to contribute to a more "intimate" project. How would it work--e.g. how would you go about distributing the scans and collecting the proofed results?

Regards,
R.L.

Last edited by rlparker; 10-07-2008 at 11:20 AM.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The thruput of PG US, with TIFF scan, Distributed Proofreading, and file formatting is now pushing 2 years on average. Quite frankly, I have given up on them from a contribution sense. I have 10 volumes that I am going to convert to e-book myself, and post on PG Austrialia, which is less fussy.

Here are excepts from the lastest communique from Greg Weeks at PG US.

"> Who do I need to communicate with for scanning US western historical
> books? I have several (with origial illustrations) that need a better
> P.G. Version than what is currently available.

I don't typicly handle anything outside of children's literature and SF.
If you want to set up an account at www.pgdp.net and post in the forums,
you might find someone interested.

> In addition, I looked at the recent (March 2008) HTML version of
> Abbott's Flatland, and it still didn't have the origial illustration,
> mererly the .txt simulations. Is there any way I can provide the scans
> of the original illustrations for incorporation with the text?

I thought someone was working on this.

Yes, "Flatland. A Romance of Many Dimensions" is going through PGDP with
the original cover even. It's in the P3 waiting queue. It's waiting for
the final proofing pass and has two formatting passes left. Around a year
probably before it posts."

No complaint about Greg, he doesn't make the system. But it's gotten extremely slow.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The thruput of PG US, with TIFF scan, Distributed Proofreading, and file formatting is now pushing 2 years on average. Quite frankly, I have given up on them from a contribution sense. I have 10 volumes that I am going to convert to e-book myself, and post on PG Austrialia, which is less fussy.
[[SNIP]]
No complaint about Greg, he doesn't make the system. But it's gotten extremely slow.
Ralph Sir Edward: No no no, you don't understand how radio works!

Their throughput is quite astonishing. It's the latency that's made you give up.

Throughput, in this context, is the rate at which they provide proofed, formatted pages to PG. And that rate is quite high.

Latency, by comparison, is the time it takes any particular book to make it through the entire process. If you want to improve DP's throughput, just get in there and proof pages. But if you want to improve latency for a book, you need to (1) get in there and volunteer; (2) work your way up to a level that lets you contribute to the stage at which the book you care about is stalled; and (3) work on moving that particular book forward. It's quite straight-forward, really, but takes a bit more effort.

Xenophon

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I should note that my sister is one of the folks who "runs" DP (inasmuch as such a loosely knit organization can be said to be "run," that is).
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The Distributed Proofreaders at PG Canada seem to be relatively quick. And their books are of a very high standard indeed.

But I am intrigued. What is the book that you are interested in, Lizardcry?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collaborate, ocr, proofing