Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Newbie with some questions

Hi everyone,

I am new so if I am asking these questions in the wrong place, could somebody direct me to where I should post please?

I am disabled so I prefer to read e-books on my laptop computer.

For this reason, I downloaded the "Nook for PC" Interface. I have also downloaded the Calibre library software to manage all my books. I prefer the Calibre interface. Calibre came with a few books already in its library as a starter. I quite enjoy reading from the ePub format within Calibre.

Regarding the "Nook for PC" interface first, I typed in the name of the book and the author I wanted from the "Shop" section from within the Nook for PC interface. It brought up the book I wanted. It was telling me it was a "Nook Book" (eBook).

I clicked on the particular book I wanted and it showed up with no problem from Barnes & Noble. There was a bright orange bar with the words "Buy Now" on it, so I clicked this and nothing happened. It would not let me buy this book. What is happening here and why can I not buy and download this book? Do I need to download some other type of software for it to work and if so, what?

As I said above and going back to Calibre, I prefer to read in here because I prefer its interface and much more extensive options. As I also said above, I like to read in e-pub format.

However, when I tried to get a particular e-book from its "Get Books" section, for some reason, I could not buy or download the book I chose.

When I click on "Get Books" and type the name of the book or author in the query bar, it brings up a list of books in various formats from various booksellers. For my particular book, I noticed there were three with a red padlock on them. The padlocks were locked. There was one for the Amazon DE Kindle, one for e-books.com (ePub for Digital Editor) and one from WH Smith UK (that was a paperback I think). There was also one there from Barnes & Noble Nook showing a blue circle with a white "?" on it.

When the cursor hovered over the locked padlock and the Barnes & Noble blue circle, there was a notice telling me that this book may have DRM restrictions. What does this actually mean and can I get over it somehow so I can download and read the book in Calibre?

My final question is this. If and when I do get to download this book and all I can do is download it in "Nook for PC" for example, is there a way I can transfer or export it from there, place it in the Calibre software interface, convert it if necessary and read it? If so, can somebody tell me how I do this please?

Thanks

HB

Last edited by Heathside Boy; 09-29-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote