Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #46
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer is an amazing combination of broad humor and high seriousness. It is very funny and very powerful.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #47
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The Shipping News is Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! In a very John Irving way.
I disliked "The Shipping News" and the only Irving book I've read, which I liked, was "A Son of the Circus"; his fans seem not to like it much. Go figure!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I disliked "The Shipping News" and the only Irving book I've read, which I liked, was "A Son of the Circus"; his fans seem not to like it much. Go figure!
Well, there ya go then.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #49
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

a couple of literary novels that I found hard to put down were Snow Falling on Cedars (though it could be called romance as well), and Feast of All Souls by Aussie Richard Lunn.

Works by Winton and Carey are also excellent.

Banville's earlier works like Book of Evidence are very good, although BoE had the most atrocious ending.

The Untouchable was unreadable for me, because nothing happened in it, it was entirely the internal thoughts of the main character. I mention this because friends of mine who like literature say it is the character's thoughts that so attract them. Perhaps it is this feature that resonates with you, in which case TU will prove engrossing.

Bridging the gap between literature and genre are Mick Herron's works which may also interest. The prose is excellent.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #50
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hrmm, the best book I read recently that falls under that category is "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. Great book. It's about a group of "hyper-intelligent" friends who decide to murder their friend.
I loved that book!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #51
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,
a couple of literary novels that I found hard to put down were Snow Falling on Cedars ...
Definitely. I loved that one.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #52
Eastlondonboy
Banned
Eastlondonboy doesn't litterEastlondonboy doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer is an amazing combination of broad humor and high seriousness. It is very funny and very powerful.
REad that one already. Enjoyed it!
Eastlondonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #53
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Oh, Cloudstreet by Tim Winton is one of my top 5 novels ever, and I've never been to Australia (would love to go some day, though).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote