Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #12886
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
....When I'm reading the Mary Russell series, it feels like an extension to the canon......
to that!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #12887
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepSnick View Post
I'm working on the Black Dagger Brotherhood series right now (J.R. Ward), and I'm on number 6: Lover Enshrined.
I really enjoyed the first 5 or 6 when I read them a couple of years ago. They are on reading challenge list for this year.

I'm on book #10 - Small Favor - of the Dresden Files series (with 3 novels and a few more short stories to go), and am trying to decide whether I want to read The Honor Harrington series, The Percy Jackson series or the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, next. The Hollows (Rachel Morgan) series is also a part of my challenge, but I do not plan to read it until later in the year.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #12888
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Percy Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I really enjoyed the first 5 or 6 when I read them a couple of years ago. They are on reading challenge list for this year.

I'm on book #10 - Small Favor - of the Dresden Files series (with 3 novels and a few more short stories to go), and am trying to decide whether I want to read The Honor Harrington series, The Percy Jackson series or the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, next. The Hollows (Rachel Morgan) series is also a part of my challenge, but I do not plan to read it until later in the year.
Concerning Percy Jackson, I read the first one, The lightning Thief and have never felt compelled to go any further. I didn't like the movie much either.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #12889
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Concerning Percy Jackson, I read the first one, The lightning Thief and have never felt compelled to go any further. I didn't like the movie much either.
The main reason I'm interested in Percy Jackson is because its inspired by Mythology.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #12890
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Percy Jackson

Quote:
The main reason I'm interested in Percy Jackson is because its inspired by Mythology.
Let me know how that works out for you.
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #12891
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Age of Zeus by James Lovegrove

"The Olympians appeared a decade ago, living incarnations of the Ancient Greek gods on a mission to bring permanent order and stability to the world. Resistance has proved futile, and now humankind is under the jackboot of divine oppression. Then former London police officer Sam Akehurst receives an invitation too tempting to turn down, the chance to join a small band of guerilla rebels armed with high-tech weapons and battlesuits. Calling themselves the Titans, they square off against the Olympians and their ferocious mythological monsters in a war of attrition which not all of them will survive."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #12892
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I'm about to finish All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque. A terrific book.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #12893
PepSnick
Enthusiast
PepSnick doesn't litterPepSnick doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

I have really enjoyed The BDB series. They're definitely a great addition to any reading list. This is my first time reading them, and I can't get enough.

I read part of the Percy Jackson series about 2 years ago, I never finished, not because I didn't enjoy it but because I got busy and just never went back to it. I need to finish that up. I haven't read any of the others, but the Dresden Files is on my to read list, as well.
PepSnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #12894
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished reading The Moor and found it a very enjoyable revisit to Baskerville Hall and Dartmore! What fun this series is! Anyway I'm continuing on with Book 5, O Jerusalem. I'll bet this it the one that Charlie warned me about. We'll see.
I don't believe that O Jerusalem was the one I was warned about that would drift off into lengthy descriptions of Jewish mysticism. I just finished it and it was just great! I'm now starting to read the 6th in the series, Justice Hall.

Last edited by alansplace; 04-12-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #12895
PepSnick
Enthusiast
PepSnick doesn't litterPepSnick doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
I am on number seven now: Lover Avenged. Going to be starting it tomorrow though, too tired tonight.
PepSnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #12896
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Endgame Enigma by James P. Hogan
This book was a bit dull in places. Rather too much laboured detail on the spying front. I did find those parts excellent for falling to sleep — a page or two and I was dropping off.

However, it was just good enough to persevere with, and I'm glad I did. The eventual reveal was well worth it. I just wish I had seen what was going on in the big picture, but I didn't get it right at all.

So I'm a bit torn on this one. The main plot idea is splendid. I just found the implementation rather dull.

Next up: The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #12897
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Just completed The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey. This is what 14 year olds are reading these days? Don't let the YA tag fool you. Scary stuff with some profound introspection. Headless monsters do live under the bed?! I now check the room for them before going to sleep. Not sure what I'll do if I encounter any.

Well written with plenty of ethical, moral, devotional, and dutiful elements thrown on the pages even though the ending was as expected. Rated B- [4 stars].

To calm down, I'll read a nice psychopathic murder mystery Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #12898
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I managed to finish 'The Jungle,' Upton Sinclair's work about the Chicago stockyards and the people working them at the turn of the century. Brilliant discriptions through the first 2/3rds of the book, but then it got bogged down in political rhetoric for the last 50 pages.

I've switched to some swashbuckling historical fiction by Kenneth Roberts called 'The Lively Lady,' the name of the ship captained by a young man from Arundel, Maine during the War of Impressment with England in the early 1800's. I'd read all of Kenneth Robert's books as a teenager, and loved them, but was never able to find any in digital form until recently. Some of the very best historical fiction ever written, still grabbing me from page one. I can't put it down!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #12899
ProjeKtWEREWOLF
Imperator Vult
ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProjeKtWEREWOLF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle
I'm currently working through the recent Black Library short stories; both Warhammer 40K and Warhammer. I'm really enjoying them as my attention span at the moment is miniscule.

Prior to these, I read 'Outpost' by Adam Baker; an apocalyptic zombie oil rig type of story. It was a bit of a grind to be honest.
ProjeKtWEREWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #12900
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Just completed The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey. This is what 14 year olds are reading these days? Don't let the YA tag fool you. Scary stuff with some profound introspection. Headless monsters do live under the bed?! I now check the room for them before going to sleep. Not sure what I'll do if I encounter any. [...]
Nothing to do with what you just read, but the title caught my eye. We've got some pbooks here by Donald James, the first of his Inspector Constantin Vadim series is called Monstrum. These are definitely adult, crime/thriller stories set in Russia. Very well done, if you can find ebook versions of these I think many here would find them worthwhile.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote