Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #91
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Is it available to download via Wi-Fi? I don't think Amazon pushed the update to the Kindle PW yet. I might be wrong, I've already updated so I'm not sure.
Actually, I'm not certain either. I was just assuming that they had rolled it out on wi-fi simultaneously, but I can't check; since my PW also needed a recharge, I copied the update over from my PC and it was successful.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #92
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
Well, finally I did it. Jailbreaked it, installed usbnet and the rescue pack, than copied the 5.3 firmware again and this time the update finalized succesfully. Strange thing, sorry amazon, I wanted to play nicely, but you forced me
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #93
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
My unit also seems to be a little slower page turns after the update (someone else mentioned this earlier). Also, when turning on/off wifi from within a book, there is a very long pause when returning to the book using the back button. Not a huge deal, but it is quite noticeable.
My guess would be that it is re-indexing the content on your PW (typically that's done as part of most if not all updates). Until it is done there will be some performance degradation.

To check what is going on, go to Home screen and search for '.'. The search results will be empty if everything is indexed, otherwise it will show the indexing status.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #94
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
This is just an odd observation, but while my PW was updating the light went off for the entire process. No one else mentioned seeing that and it spooked me. I was relieved when it came back on once it restarted. Is this normal?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #95
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I was in a well lit room and half distracted, so I have no idea if mine went out or not, but...

PURE SPECULATION FOLLOWS....

Having a battery die during a firmware update is bad news and can brick the device. It's possible that they turn off the light to reduce current draw as much as possible to increase the likelihood of success. It's also possible that during update they shut down all unnecessary system services, one of which controls the light.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #96
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, my light shut off during the update.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #97
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Is there anyway of reinstating the old screensavers? I liked those pictures, and now I have a single screensaver with a quote and a Waterstones tagline.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #98
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
Is there anyway of reinstating the old screensavers? I liked those pictures, and now I have a single screensaver with a quote and a Waterstones tagline.
I keep reading about the new Waterstones screensavers and I'm kind of confused because I updated my Kindle Paperwhite to 5.3 a couple of days ago and I still get the same old screenscavers.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #99
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Did you buy yours through Waterstones or Amazon.co.uk?

*Edit* Based on your location, I'm guessing it wasn't through Waterstones. Amazon seem to know which devices were purchased that way. Shortly after registering my device I had a complimentary subscription to the Waterstones Blog.

Last edited by Robmonster; 11-13-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #100
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I bought it in Waterstones, but sorry, if I pay full retail price I object to adverts
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #101
Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I keep reading about the new Waterstones screensavers and I'm kind of confused because I updated my Kindle Paperwhite to 5.3 a couple of days ago and I still get the same old screenscavers.
I'm not getting Waterstone's screensavers either, and I bought my device from Amazon UK, so I'm guessing it is limited to the devices which were purchased in store.

Not that that makes it okay... I agree no one should be seeing advertising of any form if they paid full retail price.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #102
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I bought it in Waterstones, but sorry, if I pay full retail price I object to adverts
I can't find the article now, but apparently Paperwhites purchased from Waterstones are "branded" with the Waterstones screen saver.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #103
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I can't find the article now, but apparently Paperwhites purchased from Waterstones are "branded" with the Waterstones screen saver.
Here's the thread which has the link to the article you're looking for.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2299626

Article: http://paidcontent.org/2012/09/12/wa...he-bear-traps/
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #104
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Urgh, I find that quite outrageous really. If I had bought a PW from Waterstones and ended up with their branded screensaver after the update, I would be marching back there to return it for a refund and generally kicking a fuss about it!

As an aside, I hate all this adverts and branding overload everywhere. It's always annoyed me so much that I am actually less likely to purchase something or buy in a store that's over-advertised, branding on my stuff gets removed or covered if I find it too annoying or distracting Adverts on TV don't seem to work for me either as I am usually unable to remember what brand it's for the *only* exception was a Dunlop TV ad some 20-odd years ago which was amazing and totally surreal, t'was the one with the Velvet Underground music.

Last edited by Yolina; 11-14-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #105
adamselene
Enthusiast
adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 2
In case nobody else noticed, USE_ALT_FONTS is back, and less buggy than on the Touch.
adamselene is offline   Reply With Quote