Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
m1dlg
m1dlg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Filtering DRM from non DRMed books.

I wish to filter and sort the books in Calibre with DRM and without DRM. I have 4000+ purchased books and some I have removed the DRM, however I have been unable to do this on all of them. I only want to do this so I have a personal backup in light of the recent behaviour by Amazon deleting whole Kindle accounts. 4000+ books is an investment and to lose it will be rather upsetting. I have no idea how to do this and wonder if this even possible. If not is there an alternative program to do this in? Even better to be able to export the non-DRMed books to new folder.
m1dlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Quality Check plugin will find DRMed ePubs (ePub Structure -> Check DRM). It does not seem to check MOBI/AZW/AZW3 file for DRM though.

I have not tried this, but if you try to convert DRMed MOBIs to ePub (say) the conversions should fail and then you can search for ebooks with no ePub. This approach is particularly good if you want ePubs anyway. Otherwise it is computer intensive.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
m1dlg
m1dlg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Thanks Wallcraft, I would only want ePub for personal backup reasons - When the pile of Kindles (that can't read ePub files finally die) and I am forced to get a replacement that may or may not be a Kindle. I have found that some books are unable to have the DRM removed (at the moment) or so it seems. As I am only interested in converting everything to MOBI format for now (in order to ensure the page formatting remains as intended). I will give the quality check plugin a try but it doesn't sound like what I am looking for.

Ultimately I am hoping to be able to filter out the DRM versions so long as I have a non-DRMed copy. I can't seem to find anyway to do this.
m1dlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I use the count pages plugin. it wont work on anything with drm, it leaves them blank. so its easy to sort afterwards
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
I use the count pages plugin. it wont work on anything with drm, it leaves them blank. so its easy to sort afterwards
Yep, that's how I did it too when I wanted to desinfect the last of my DRM-ed books.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, drm, filter, kindle, sort