Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #31
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Books for the Kindle should be in MOBI format. If Calibre is asking you to autoconvert, you probably haven't converted the book yet, so there is no suitable format. Check if there is a MOBI format available in the book entry, if not, you'll need to (auto-)convert the book.
You should also check that the preferred output format in preferences->behaviour is set to MOBI.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #32
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Under preferences, run wizard, if you select K3 as your device, calibre will automagically convert whatever ebook file you send to your Kindle to the correct format. Say yes to that prompt. I find that calibre leaves the original file alone and generates another file in the correct format for my Kindle, leaving me with two files.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #33
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Books for the Kindle should be in MOBI format. If Calibre is asking you to autoconvert, you probably haven't converted the book yet, so there is no suitable format. Check if there is a MOBI format available in the book entry, if not, you'll need to (auto-)convert the book.
You should also check that the preferred output format in preferences->behaviour is set to MOBI.
Hmm. I just checked my prefs/behavior/preferred output format and it was set to epub! And yet all my ebooks I send to my K3 via email@kindle.com or by sideloading them come correctly formatted.

I wonder why my behavior setting was set to epub? And why my K3 was getting them correctly formatted if that setting was wrong? I know it should be MOBI (I just changed it).

Would it have anything to do with the fact that I just updated my program version from 7.4.6 to 7.4.7? (haven't sent any books since the update.) But the wizard had Kindle1,2, or 3 set in the defaults.

??
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #34
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
'Fraid I can't help with why your Calibre output behaviour was set to EPUB, but as I understand things, when you email a document to your Kindle, if it's one of the accepted formats (which EPUB is), it gets converted on the Amazon server into the correct format for the Kindle. So that would probably explain why the previous files came out OK on the Kindle.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #35
speedlever
Fanatic

When I send a non-MOBI file via email as described, calibre pops up a window which shows:
1) the file is being converted (I assume from whatever format I bought to MOBI)
2) the file is being emailed

When I run the Welcome Wizard, it asks for the manufacturer (Amazon) and device (Kindle 1,2 or 3 or DX). Under behavior, the output format stays as epub.

It all works just fine.. but I don't understand the apparent discrepancy.

Even an epub I bought and side-loaded with those settings reads fine in my K3.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #36
bonnzo
bonnzo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (wifi)
Edit - problem solved.

Last edited by bonnzo; 02-05-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Problem solved
bonnzo is offline   Reply With Quote