Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Standard CSS for Kobo?

Has anyone prepared a standard CSS file for use with the Kobo? I will do one myself if none exists, but I really need some more technical data on what the Kobo needs to render EPUB. I get the feeling that, like the early days of the internet when we used to see all those "best viewed in Internet Explorer" signs on web pages, different ebook readers render things ...differently!
I have tried doing some ebooks from text files on the internet (studying classics I often need to wade through pages of obscure Greek authors). Of course the Kobo doesn't render ancient Greek - but that is not surprising and I have to say I read English much faster.
I would love to see a joint project with Note Tab and Sigil! What a great EPUB editor that could be. Until that happens I might try writing a new Note Tab library for some XHTML code and just cutting and pasting into Sigil.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I would love to see a joint project with Note Tab and Sigil!
NoteTab is commercial software, Sigil is open source. so that's not going to happen. The one thing that would really be useful is for Sigil to have a plugin architecture, but that's a fairly major undertaking.

There's another thread here covering the standard parts of css that different people use.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
No need to merge them. NoteTab is my editor of choice -- I code everything there. Sigil opens XHTML files (and text files). So the workflow is easy.

Nice to find another NoteTab user.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
No need to merge them. NoteTab is my editor of choice -- I code everything there. Sigil opens XHTML files (and text files). So the workflow is easy.

Nice to find another NoteTab user.
Yes, NoteTab is definitely THE program for doing anything involving code. Despite the profusion of web page editors I still prefer it for HTML, I like to see the code and know what is going on, and by making up my own library I can keep everything consistent. You have now given me an idea - I might open a book with good Kobo formatting in Sigil and copy and paste the code from the XHTML file into NoteTab for future use.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
I use it for everything. The Clip macro language is so good, if you find decent command line utilities, you can do anything. I even have a macro to generate a validating epub from my XHTML source, with meta, using only the zip command-line utility.

Awesome.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Carpathian
Carpathian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Stumbled in here...

Would a "standard CSS file" be a/the way to change/override the two built-in fonts in Kobo (i.e. for epubs secured from other sources, e.g. Gutenberg)? Can I do that now for individual books using Sigil or some other software (I don't know Sigil) but use Calibre for various functions (but it can't change the font).

I don't care for the two Kobo fonts....they seem light, not black or contrasty enough. A friend has the Kindle and I like the standard fonts (but don't know what they are).

And where do I find/get to CSS files?

Thanks for any suggestions and insight.
Carpathian is offline   Reply With Quote