Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony PRS350
Yet another $200 reader thread

Ok, I've been doing quite a bit of research and have pretty much decided that I want to get an e reader, as long as it is $200 or less. I have narrowed the field to a few devices that seem to meet my budget requirements:
  1. Sony PRS 300
  2. JetBook Lite
  3. Aluratek Libre
  4. Astak Pocket Pro
I haven't compared the two screen technologies side by side yet but hope to this weekend. Other than that, I want to be able to read ebooks from the library, which it seems that all the readers on my list support except for the JetBook, right? I'm also wondering which, if any, support books purchased from Barnes & Noble (without having to strip the DRM)? That's not a deal breaker but I have a gift card from them that I'd like to use for ebook purchases if possible.

Any other readers I'm missing?

Thanks for the help. This forum is a great resource!
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Regular Jetbook is sub $200 as well. AAMOF, Newegg has the Jetbook for $149 + $1.99 shippping right now.

"I haven't compared the two screen technologies side by side yet but hope to this weekend." That is a great thing to do if you can. Both the e-ink and TFT have their pros and cons, and being able to try them both before you decide could help to sway you.

Last edited by RonF; 01-20-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling :)
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
kirbinster
Enthusiast
kirbinster began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
The Jetbook lite will read books purchased from B&N, but you have to stip DRM from Library books right now - but there is talk of an upcoming firmware update to allow their use.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
The Jetbook lite will read books purchased from B&N, but you have to stip DRM from Library books right now - but there is talk of an upcoming firmware update to allow their use.
I really like the Jetbook lite, the replaceable AA batteries are a great idea but I really want to be able to read Library books easily. The Aluratek Libre does library books but not B&N, right? I hope the Jetbook firmware update happens soon because it will be just about perfect based on my requirements. I'm pretty sure the screen will be fine (I'll hopefully confirm that this weekend).
Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Being able to read library books would make the JBL just absolutely perfect!!!
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I think you missed the Cybook Opus, its available in BooksonBoard for 200. It supposedly features on of the best implementations of the EPUB standard. And since it has Adobe ADE you would be able to read library books.

Other than the Nook, no other reader currently supports B&N´s DRM scheme.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Like others have said, all the ones on your list support the ebooks from Overdrive. From doing my own research, Jetbook and the Aluratek quickly fell off my list since their battery life is significantly less due to their use of a monochromatic LCD screen instead of e-ink (reminds me of my ancient Sony Clie PDA). The Sony ended up loosing to the Pocket Pro for not having a SD expansion slot, a non user replaceable battery, no built-in MP3 player, and doesn't include a cover.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
their battery life is significantly less due to their use of a monochromatic LCD screen instead of e-ink (reminds me of my ancient Sony Clie PDA).
Is 20+ hours on a single charge really all that poor?
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Sony 300

There is another posting in the Sony forum with a link to the Sony outlet where you can buy refurbished units at a discount. I saw the 300 model for $159 US dollars.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Technically its a Tft screen, and you'll find those of us who have used one, love it. Plus the Jetbook TFT screen refreshes much faster when turning pages than Eink, and without the annoying flash. As to battery life, 20 hours is more than enough for me.

If you really want a cover, there are a couple of posts in the Jetbook forum on exactly how to build what you want. My wife used a 1$ photo album, and some velcro to make hers. Me I don't take mine out and about that often. When I do it prefer it in my shirt or jacket pocket. So I prefer to keep mine plain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Like others have said, all the ones on your list support the ebooks from Overdrive. From doing my own research, Jetbook and the Aluratek quickly fell off my list since their battery life is significantly less due to their use of a monochromatic LCD screen instead of e-ink (reminds me of my ancient Sony Clie PDA). The Sony ended up loosing to the Pocket Pro for not having a SD expansion slot, a non user replaceable battery, no built-in MP3 player, and doesn't include a cover.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
markman
Enthusiast

Just ordered a Aluratek Libre

Hi all,

I just finished purchasing the Aluratek Libre from Fry's which had it for $139.99 (in black). That seemed like a pretty good price. I decided that the lack of B&N compatibility wasn't really that big of a deal. I'll pick it up at my local store this afternoon and should be reading on it tonight I'll post a quick review of it in the next few days.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Hope you enjoy your Aluratek Libre reader! Looking forward to reading your report. That is a very nice price and I think your going to love it.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
A refurb k1 is around $150.

A used reader under 200 can be easily found on ebay or CL too.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote