Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Removing Waterstones Screensaver

Hey all,

So it seems this thread confirms that one can remove the preloaded Waterstones screensavers placed onto Paperwhites bought from Waterstones in the UK.

Here's the thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199050

I wonder if anyone can tell me exactly how to do this, though? A simple, step by step guide would be amazing. I literally have no idea where to start after jailbreaking; I've looked at usbnetwork and have no idea what that does, and I've also looked at the ported screensaver hack but wonder whether that's even necessary.

The original poster mentions that he has "unpacked the paperwhite 5.3.1 update.bin image and looked through all of the .png files", and later replaces them. What does that even mean? Do you unpack it onto your computer, replace the files, recompress, and reupload to your Kindle's root?

Sorry for the n00b-like behaviour - don't want to destroy my new gadget.
Help is incredibly appreciated.

J.
jforner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforner View Post
Hey all,

So it seems this thread confirms that one can remove the preloaded Waterstones screensavers placed onto Paperwhites bought from Waterstones in the UK.

Here's the thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199050

I wonder if anyone can tell me exactly how to do this, though? A simple, step by step guide would be amazing. I literally have no idea where to start after jailbreaking; I've looked at usbnetwork and have no idea what that does, and I've also looked at the ported screensaver hack but wonder whether that's even necessary.

The original poster mentions that he has "unpacked the paperwhite 5.3.1 update.bin image and looked through all of the .png files", and later replaces them. What does that even mean? Do you unpack it onto your computer, replace the files, recompress, and reupload to your Kindle's root?

Sorry for the n00b-like behaviour - don't want to destroy my new gadget.
Help is incredibly appreciated.

J.
There has only been the single report of removing the Waterstone Screen saver (the one you found).

I don't know if it could be "dumbed down" enough for general use.

One thing that would help - a copy of the main system image from a Kpw with the screen saver installed.

Although the directions to make copies of the system images are on-site, from your questions, I do not suggest that you try it.

You really need to either increase your skill level, and/or wait until someone can dumb-down the process to the point that people without the required technical skills can handle.

Translation: Your chances of harm to the device are too great to even consider trying this, even with hand-holding posts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thanks for the feedback!
If I jailbreak my device, is there no way I can view/access the Waterstones screensaver?
Surely, If I gain root access, I can see it somewhere?

If so, replacing the image should suffice... no?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!
If I jailbreak my device, is there no way I can view/access the Waterstones screensaver?
Surely, If I gain root access, I can see it somewhere?

If so, replacing the image should suffice... no?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=3

Third post of the thread you linked to.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
jforner

Huh, cool.
So maybe the original poster seemed to be going the overly-complex way in his first post?

By jailbreaking, I should be able to access this directory right? Can anyone confirm?
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Huh, cool.
So maybe the original poster seemed to be going the overly-complex way in his first post?

By jailbreaking, I should be able to access this directory right? Can anyone confirm?
Yes and No.

On the Kindle's "Jailbreaking" just allows a user to add MR applications.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446

You will then need to add the USBnetworking if it isn't already part of the above JB package.

Then you will need to setup the networking.

Then you will have access to that directory tree.

Like I first posted, you would find all of that much easier if you knew what you where doing.
This isn't the site for teaching basic Linux/Unix usage.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
jforner

Hey,

It's true that I'm new to Kindle - but I've dealt with many iPhone/iPad jailbreaks, and have worked with Unix for the best part of 5 years - so I know my way around the Terminal.

What exactly is usbnetwork? I found it mentioned in another thread, and will install it.
With your above steps, do you think I will have access to this elusive directory?

Thanks for your help so far!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
USB networking is just basically a hook to start sshd.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
sakkoap
sakkoap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
deleting this file removed the waterstones screensaver for me!
/var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png

The original amazon screensavers appear now!
sakkoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakkoap View Post
deleting this file removed the waterstones screensaver for me!
/var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png

The original amazon screensavers appear now!
did you save a copy?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Apollofortynine
Apollofortynine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
did you save a copy?
Why would he have to?
Apollofortynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollofortynine View Post
Why would he have to?
Where in my post did I write that he had to?

This really isn't the site for trolling.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollofortynine View Post
Why would he have to?
Because that wouldn't be dumb?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote