Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't know about a favorite, but now that this thread has reminded me of Banned Book Week, it's time to crack open that copy of Fanny Hill I downloaded earlier just for the occasion!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
OMG!!! Nippolias!
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
And they're not even full-frontal. Or non-cartoon.

Well, we don't seem to have a dedicated pointing-and-laughing smiley, but this looks close enough:
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
And they're not even full-frontal. Or non-cartoon.
And they pre-date the Streisand Effect, but are basically known for the same reason. Had no one raised a fuss, I certainly never would have heard about it!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Nice cottage she has.
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
So is it your favorite banned book?

-Pie
I dunno. I have a hard time picking favorites
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #22
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I remember, assigned it at school, loathing The Chocolate War. It is probably a great book because of it, but I found the "Can't win, will never win, don't bother trying, we will destroy you if you step out of line" theme monumentally depressing and alienating. I couldn't figure out why we were assigned it. Perhaps the teacher did not competently handle it, but I almost felt that instead of it teaching about oppression and the dangerous courage in being out of step with the mass, it was a warning to us to keep in line or suffer the consequences, from our peers and from authority. It affected me greatly at the time (young, very shy, closeted, gay lad).

Which tells me I should reread it, I guess. Perhaps there was hope, and less defeat, in there than I remember. To be so affecting, I do have to recall it with respect.

Cheers,
Marc (It was over 25 years ago, I think. I was young, memory is hazy)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #23
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I remember, assigned it at school, loathing The Chocolate War. It is probably a great book because of it, but I found the "Can't win, will never win, don't bother trying, we will destroy you if you step out of line" theme monumentally depressing and alienating. I couldn't figure out why we were assigned it. Perhaps the teacher did not competently handle it, but I almost felt that instead of it teaching about oppression and the dangerous courage in being out of step with the mass, it was a warning to us to keep in line or suffer the consequences, from our peers and from authority. It affected me greatly at the time (young, very shy, closeted, gay lad).

Which tells me I should reread it, I guess. Perhaps there was hope, and less defeat, in there than I remember. To be so affecting, I do have to recall it with respect.

Cheers,
Marc (It was over 25 years ago, I think. I was young, memory is hazy)
I would definitely encourage you to re-read it.

I somehow escaped being assigned To Kill a Mockingbird, even in College. Finally, just last year, I decided to read it... somewhat reluctantly, knowing it's exactly one of those books you're usually "forced" to read in school. Turns out, I loved it, and even to this day sometimes wander back to it in thought: the writing style, the wonderful characters, the tragedy of racism, God's unconditional love manifest in one quiet, unassuming gentleman, the power of a child's voice, names like Jem, Scout, Atticus, and of course Boo Radley! etc., etc., etc.

However, had I read it in High School, or even early College years, I know it would have been mostly lost on me. While ostensibly centered around main characters who are children, it's truly an "adult" book. (I can see educators making the mistake of "hey the characters are kids, it must be for kids!) And as I would say about so many great books, this touched me to the point that I would call it being blessed.

-Pie
Old 09-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #24
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Many a great work in those lists making it almost impossible to pick a single one. I'd probably go with one of Animal Farm or Native Son.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

A weird thing happened with my copy of Fanny Hill. I read the first chapter on my Kindle 3, then when I closed the book, it disappeared. Didn't show up on my main screen, any of my collections, or the Archive. So, figuring it may be a K3 glitch, I retrieved it from the Archive of my K2, but as soon as I closed the book on that Kindle, the same thing happened. So I hooked the Kindles to my computer one by one, did a virus scan on both, and deleted the document and it's associated file from each, then bought a different copy from Amazon for 99¢.

The new copy is MUCH better! It's got PICTURES! The kind you can't post to MobileRead!

Sweet!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #26
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
We were asked in grade 6 to submit a book report on a book of our choice.

I read the book The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway and submitted my report, which was promptly rejected by my grade 6 teacher as being inappropriate reading material.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

The new copy is MUCH better! It's got PICTURES! The kind you can't post to MobileRead!

Sweet!

It's the little things in life, eh? Or maybe they were big things?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Now it's a graphic novel! A very graphic novel!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #29
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
We were asked in grade 6 to submit a book report on a book of our choice.

I read the book The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway and submitted my report, which was promptly rejected by my grade 6 teacher as being inappropriate reading material.
Do you remember if the teacher said why it was "inappropriate"?

-Pie
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Do you remember if the teacher said why it was "inappropriate"?

-Pie
It was a long time ago, but I believe the reason was that a grade sixer was not mature enough to read such a book, probably due to the language, i.e. swearing. He just said it was inappropriate and not acceptable.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote