Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How big is the Andromeda Galaxy in the sky?
A point object, like the planets 3 9.09%
A just-distinguishable oval 5 15.15%
One fifth the width of the moon 2 6.06%
the same width as the moon 3 9.09%
five times the width of the moon 6 18.18%
twenty-five times the width of the moon 1 3.03%
The blue one next to the fish 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How big is the Andromeda Galaxy?

A quick poll on an astronomy question!

Now, I'm not asking how big the Andromeda Galaxy (the nearest big galaxy to our own Milky Way) actually is, but how big it appears to be in our night sky.

Well, it's not very bright, but if it were lots brighter, so that we could see it easily, how big would it be in the sky, compared to the only object in the sky with a visible size that we can look at easily - the moon.

I've made a picture to help you, showing Andromeda and the moon, from 25x the width of the moon down to 1/5 the width of the moon. (You can imaging a tiny oval and a point size object, I'm sure!)

The answer is behind the spoiler. No peeking until you've voted in the poll!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moon and Andromeda.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	103268  

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-21-2013 at 10:45 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had to vote fish, because I had no idea.
Spoiler:
It would be super cool to see a galaxy in the night sky with the naked eye.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I had to vote fish, because I had no idea. It would be super cool to see a galaxy in the night sky with the naked eye.
I was tempted to vote on the fish for the same reason...but I decided to make a guess instead

I have no idea how large the Andromeda galaxy is but I do know that it is huge compared to the Milky Way.

Spoiler:
Turns out my guess was correct.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
Fish was my vote too.
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I have no idea how large the Andromeda galaxy is but I do know that it is huge compared to the Milky Way.
The Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxies are estimated to be similar (factor of two) in size, although the Andromeda is the bigger of the two.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I didn't think people would be so cautious in their voting!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I didn't think people would be so cautious in their voting!
I was incautious...
Spoiler:
and wrong!

Glad to know the true answer though.

Graham

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-21-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I voted
Spoiler:
"A just-distinguishable oval" -- I know my eyes better than you do!

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-21-2013 at 01:17 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I voted "A just-distinguishable oval" -- I know my eyes better than you do!

It is true that with the naked eye all you can actually see of the galaxy is a just-distinguishable oval. And that's somewhere with low light pollution and no moon in the sky.

Thanks for being brave and choosing an option!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Spoiler:

I guessed one fifth the width of our moon. I had never imagined that it was so large as it is
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I thought it was a really long way to the chemist's
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I've made a picture to help you, showing Andromeda and the moon, from 25x the width of the moon down to 1/5 the width of the moon. (You can imaging a tiny oval and a point size object, I'm sure!)

The answer is behind the spoiler. No peeking until you've voted in the poll!
... which is the correct answer if, and only if, you are standing on the Earth or are in near-Earth orbit. From other vantage points, the relative sizes are quite different.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
... which is the correct answer if, and only if, you are standing on the Earth or are in near-Earth orbit. From other vantage points, the relative sizes are quite different.
No s#%t? You should probably write a paper or something, "Stuff looks different if you see it from a different viewpoint" - I bet nobody's noticed that, like, ever
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
There are very few humans who have had a significantly different viewpoint.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I voted "A just-distinguishable oval"
Spoiler:
because it was the closest thing I could find to a fuzzy dot. It's barely visible to the unaided eye on the best of nights.

Edit: I should have read the first post before voting, as I thought the question was about how big it appears to the unaided eye. I would still have gotten it wrong, though. I had no idea it occupied that much of the night sky's real estate.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-22-2013 at 04:11 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote