Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #10261
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Are they?
That is kind of the point. But that is a debate about ethics that has no place in this thread.
That's the point, it's an ethical question you are talking about. Physically, they are breathing, and ergo are still alive .

And have you forgotten it's your turn for a question?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #10262
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Ahh, I missed that one.
I suppose it is a bit unfair but I will have to ask Stichcawl to excuse himself from this session.

Can you name the five clans that has held the post of Seii-Taishogun throughout Japanese history?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #10263
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know this as Shogun, but I don't know any names.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #10264
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I know this as Shogun, but I don't know any names.
Seii-Taishogun is the formal title for a Shogun.
征夷大将軍 is shortened to its last two characters 将軍, this is a common feature in the Japanese language. That post has been inhabited by a few different clans, some more well known than others. The trick is to name at least five of those.
I guess I should have explained that in the first posting, I just assumed this was a well known fact.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #10265
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think it was well-known enough, no extra was needed, but I can't name the clans. Perhaps some guesses:

Sony
Panasonic
Yamaha

I'm joking...
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #10266
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
One is called something like Yamamoto, but I can't quite remember, and I can't think of any more . We might well need Stitchawl for this one...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #10267
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

No Yamamoto I'm afraid. The latter part of the name is correct though, but you need to change the first part.

When I wake up tomorrow and if there is are no correct answers we'll see how many Stitchawl can provide. I'm betting three, but all five if he asks his wife for advice
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #10268
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I am pretty sure that one of them was something like Tokugawa (sp), but that's all I can contribute.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #10269
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Tokugawa is correct. They held the title from 1603 to 1867. Tokugawa was the last Shogun dynasty in Japan.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #10270
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I guess this may differ between countries, but here in Sweden you can die from brain failure. In other words you are proclaimed dead if there is no brain activity but the heart is still beating.
That is true but eventually your heart will stop beating either on its own or through intervention. You cannot bury or cremate an individual whose heart is still beating.

Between the two events is when organ extraction may be performed.

Everyone who has died underwent cardiac arrest (cardiac death) and respiratory distress syndrome.

Last edited by Fbone; 11-27-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #10271
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The only one I remember is Kemmu probably because it's the easiest and noted for being short lived.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #10272
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Tokugawa is correct. They held the title from 1603 to 1867. Tokugawa was the last Shogun dynasty in Japan.
My interest in Japanese novels from Tanizaki on pays of, Th portion of Japanese history, including the Meiji Restoration, is often alluded to.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #10273
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The only one I remember is Kemmu probably because it's the easiest and noted for being short lived.
Kemmu Restoration was a short interlude of power restored to the Imperial Throne, pretty much between the two other of the most prominent of Shogunal dynasties.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #10274
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
My interest in Japanese novels from Tanizaki on pays of, Th portion of Japanese history, including the Meiji Restoration, is often alluded to.
See the kind of trivia you pick up from reading novels. I had a period where I'd sit in front of the TV and declare participants on Jeopardy IQ challenged. I've outgrown that kind of juvenilia.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #10275
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Here is another one. This is for those of you who aren't interested in Japanese history.

What is

#4e5054, #272727, #282828, #292929, #2b2b2b, #2c2c2c, #2e2e2e, #313131, #323232, #343434, #353535, #373737, #393939, #3a3a3a, #3c3c3c, #3f3f3f, #404040, #424242, #444444, #454545, #474747, #484848, #4a4a4a, #4b4b4b, #4d4d4d, #4e4e4e, #505050, #515151, #535353, #565656, #575757, #585858, #595959, #5b5b5b, #5c5c5c, #5e5e5e, #616161, #626262, #646464, #656565, #676767, #6a6a6a, #6b6b6b, #6c6c6c, #6d6d6d, #6f6f6f, #727272, #737373, #757575, #767676, #777777, #7b7b7b, #7c7c7c, #7d7d7d, #7e7e7e, #808080, #818181, #838383, #868686, #878787, #888888, #898989, #8b8b8b, #8c8c8c, #8e8e8e, #919191, #929292, #949494, #959595, #979797, #9a9a9a, #9b9b9b, #9c9c9c, #9d9d9d, #9f9f9f, #a0a0a0, #a2a2a2, #a5a5a5, #a6a6a6, #a8a8a8, #a9a9a9, #ababab, #aeaeae, #afafaf, #b0b0b0