Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Complete Hitchhiker's Guide Series $10 or less

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

Book Description
At last in paperback in one complete volume, here are the five classic novels from Douglas Adams’s beloved Hitchiker series.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Seconds before the Earth is demolished for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is saved by Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised Guide. Together they stick out their thumbs to the stars and begin a wild journey through time and space.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Facing annihilation at the hands of warmongers is a curious time to crave tea. It could only happen to the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his comrades as they hurtle across the galaxy in a desperate search for a place to eat.

Life, the Universe and Everything
The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky– so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals can avert Armageddon: mild-mannered Arthur Dent and his stalwart crew.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Back on Earth, Arthur Dent is ready to believe that the past eight years were all just a figment of his stressed-out imagination. But a gift-wrapped fishbowl with a cryptic inscription conspires to thrust him back to reality. So to speak.

Mostly Harmless
Just when Arthur Dent makes the terrible mistake of starting to enjoy life, all hell breaks loose. Can he save the Earth from total obliteration? Can he save the Guide from a hostile alien takeover? Can he save his daughter from herself?

You can also pre-order this one from B&N, HERE. However, the very best price is at Fictionwise (but only for a short time): they have this book listed at $20.00 or $17.00 with their club discount and there is a 50% off coupon, F50B2Z7290, from this past weekend that is still working. Best of all, it isn't a pre-order there and I now have it downloaded -- their version, at least, also has a bonus short story before the last title, Young Zaphod Plays It Safe, which I expect will be present in the version sold at both of the other stores, as well.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just got a note, the Kindle version is apparently geo-restricted and not available in Canada.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'll confirm the Canadian unavailability. Probably just as well I already own an older omnibus edition hardback.

I like the way the Fictionwise version subtitles this collection: "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Entering the Tibetan Buddhist Path [Secure eReader (recommended)/Adobe EPUB]".

Now there's a mash-up I'd pay to see.

Also, thanks for the FW coupon code. Just picked up a bunch of MultiFormat series I used last month's 50% off coupon to try the first volume of. I hope they make a habit of it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I just bought it from Fictionwise, and I'm not able to download it.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
*Yyyeeesss!!*
No georestriction to Norway. It's preordered and having birthday September 29th, this would be the best present ever given to me.
Thank you again my lovely wife for buying me a Kindle <3

Edit:
@ATDrake:
I've discovered that if an eBook is georestricted (to Europe), sometimes in the "Formats" box underneath the price description, there are several Kindle publishings. So, check if it still says available for Kindle and in case, click it. The price will (for the most part) rise a couple of $ but still, it might be available.
(I have to pay $11.99 international delivery)
/Edit

Last edited by Bikeridr; 09-28-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Added a hint on georestriction
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I just bought it from Fictionwise, and I'm not able to download it.
Assuming you selected the EPUB format, what happens when you try to download? Do you get the .ACSM loader file saved?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
RoccoPaco
Enthusiast
RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoccoPaco has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Thank you very much!
RoccoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the heads up — just bought for $7.23!

However, it seems that it's not yet available for download. This isn't a geographic restrictions thing (although it does seem to be restricted to US & Canada), but that the publisher hasn't released the file yet (or has withdrawn the file).

Hopefully it'll become available later today. I have successfully downloaded a couple of other books bought at the same time, both also in ePub format.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Arg !
On FictionWise, the book is geo-restricted :
GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTIONS: Available to customers in: US, PR, VI, UM
Anybody know how to decrypt this ?

EDIT :
Link in case you're interested and able to buy it :
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1...as-Adams/?si=0
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Arg !
On FictionWise, the book is geo-restricted :
GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTIONS: Available to customers in: US, PR, VI, UM
Anybody know how to decrypt this ?

EDIT :
Link in case you're interested and able to buy it :
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1...as-Adams/?si=0
Easy: you can't buy it. I gave up on FictionWise long ago, it seems that practically all of their recent DRM books are geo-restricted to the US and some associated territories (PR= Puerto Rico, VI=American Virgin Islands, UM I'm not sure). Multi-format books are not though, but I rarely seem to find anything that interests me there.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Easy: you can't buy it. I gave up on FictionWise long ago, it seems that practically all of their recent DRM books are geo-restricted to the US and some associated territories (PR= Puerto Rico, VI=American Virgin Islands, UM I'm not sure). Multi-format books are not though, but I rarely seem to find anything that interests me there.
Ok, thanks.
I didn't ask how to circumvent the geo restrictions, just what the letters meant, in order to better understand which books I might be able to buy.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Ok, thanks.
I didn't ask how to circumvent the geo restrictions, just what the letters meant, in order to better understand which books I might be able to buy.
Yes, that's what I thought. The letters are ISO country codes. If FR is not in the list (it isn't, mostly), then the book is not available for France.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
*Yyyeeesss!!*
No georestriction to Norway. It's preordered and having birthday September 29th, this would be the best present ever given to me.
Thank you again my lovely wife for buying me a Kindle <3

Edit:
@ATDrake:
I've discovered that if an eBook is georestricted (to Europe), sometimes in the "Formats" box underneath the price description, there are several Kindle publishings. So, check if it still says available for Kindle and in case, click it. The price will (for the most part) rise a couple of $ but still, it might be available.
(I have to pay $11.99 international delivery)
/Edit
I'd love to know if this is in topaz or mobi format... If it's the latter, I think I might buy it as well.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks for the heads up — just bought for $7.23!

However, it seems that it's not yet available for download. This isn't a geographic restrictions thing (although it does seem to be restricted to US & Canada), but that the publisher hasn't released the file yet (or has withdrawn the file).

Hopefully it'll become available later today. I have successfully downloaded a couple of other books bought at the same time, both also in ePub format.
Also bought it through some "workarounds" to use up the last of my Micropay (after having to battle with them to get it reinstated!) and also can't download it.

Why are they selling something if it isn't actually available? At first I thought it was the workaround not working, but seems not to be the case.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Also bought it through some "workarounds" to use up the last of my Micropay (after having to battle with them to get it reinstated!) and also can't download it.

Why are they selling something if it isn't actually available? At first I thought it was the workaround not working, but seems not to be the case.
Has anyone (including in the US) got the (ePub) book to download? It does seem to be a problem with the distributor rather than Fictionwise.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote