Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
BBC's Bill Thompson Comments on the reader.

Original article is Here

He has some interesting comments to make on Readers in general and the Sony Reader and the iPod Touch in particular.

Some of the Interesting comments are as follows

Quote:
The quality and ease of use of the new generation of readers means that they appeal to the general population rather than those who like to live at the leading edge of technological innovation, but although sales have been good they are far from spectacular.
Quote:
the current generation of ebooks are limited in so many ways that it is unfair to expect them to challenge print in any significant way.
Quote:
there are many different ebook formats out there, some locked using one of the proprietary DRM schemes, and so not every reader can be used to read every book, rather as if you got a new paperback home and were told that your particular type of lightbulb could not be used to illuminate its pages.
Quote:
Only Amazon has realised that having to tether your ebook reader to your computer with a cable or plug in memory cards creates a serious obstacle for many users.
He does admit that he doesn't have that much experience with it, but al least has seen them in action unlike some
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Only Amazon has realised that having to tether your ebook reader to your computer with a cable or plug in memory cards creates a serious obstacle for many users.
I have to agree with him here. Having been TA for a computer typing class in high school, and been generally helpful in my other computer classes (mostly graphics related) in college, I know full well how skittish many people are around them. If they're not sure how to do something, often they won't even try. Or they will try, make a mistake, and end up too frustrated to try again.

The most common problem I would help people with was actually transferring files to and from an external media (which is essentially what you're doing when you hook up a Reader or Cybook).

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-08-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I don't know how well they've been selling across the entire UK but my local branch of Waterstones has managed to sell all 15 of the ones they got in stock.

I agree about PC tethering too. Amazon have got the right idea there.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
I agree about PC tethering too. Amazon have got the right idea there.
I disagree. Its a battery drain for some minor convenience.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"there are many different ebook formats out there, some locked using one of the proprietary DRM schemes, and so not every reader can be used to read every book, rather as if you got a new paperback home and were told that your particular type of lightbulb could not be used to illuminate its pages."

And that is the biggest issue for ebook devices. They should come with full-featured conversion software for popular formats (doc, pdf, lit, etc).
Devices should also support more file formats out of the box.
DRM protection is unfair restriction for the users.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With my 505, when I plug it into the USB port to transfer content, I am also adding a charge to the battery at the same time. So that is good. Plus, my next vacation will be to Scotland where the wifi of the Kindle will be useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Plus, my next vacation will be to Scotland where the wifi of the Kindle will be useless.
I trust you'll be toting the collected poems of Robbie Burns on the 505 when you visit.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
I trust you'll be toting the collected poems of Robbie Burns on the 505 when you visit.
Nope, I won't be. I'm not sure what I'll be reading at that time. But I know it won't be poetry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Lexicon
Enthusiast
Lexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Having to connect your portable device to another machine to import content hasn't harmed the legions of mp3 players that rely upon doing exactly that.

Mobile data transfer has it's place; it's a great way of getting time sensitive content (such as newspaper articles) onto a device, and it has allowed Amazon to create a compelling "sample then purchase" sales model, but I disagree that having to connect the device to a computer to load books is a serious obstacle for many people.

Wireless transfer is a nice extra, not a must have feature. Anybody who considers it to be an essential feature might do well to ask themselves if what they really need is a smart phone or PDA rather than a dedicated reading device.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't consider wireless transfer to be critical, myself, but we would do well to remember that recorded music has always required some kind of technology to work, whereas books have not. I think ebooks and readers will have to work harder to be as convenient as their pre-electronic counterparts, whereas music players have gotten more convenient over time.

I note that more and more digital cameras are now able to connect directly to printers. Completely different functionality, but same user perception of wanting to do without a computer.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I disagree. Its a battery drain for some minor convenience.
HUH? If you turn of the radio there is no effect on the battery at all. I only turn on the wireless after I have bought a book. It takes about 1 min to d/l then I turn the radio off again.

It's amazing what people say is a waste or they don't need/want if they don't have it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The benefit of a USB cable connection is that, for most devices at least, it acts both as a data connection and charges the machine at the same time. Eg, with a Gen3, plugging it into a PC for 10-15 minutes a day is enough to keep the battery fully charged. If it had a wireless connection, I'd still be connecting to my PC to copy content across, but then I'd have the hassle of having to make a separate "wired" connection just to charge it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
The iLiad will do this too, obviously. So Amazon aren't the only ones with this idea. It's not a huge deal, but can definitely be convenient to transfer stuff via wifi instead of having to go to the PC and hook up a cable. I'm not sure I would call it a serious obstacle though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The iLiad will do this too, obviously. So Amazon aren't the only ones with this idea. It's not a huge deal, but can definitely be convenient to transfer stuff via wifi instead of having to go to the PC and hook up a cable. I'm not sure I would call it a serious obstacle though.
One of my dislikes of the iLiad, when I owned one, was the fact that it didn't charge via USB. The "travel hub" into which all the cables and the charger connect, is a horrible piece of design.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think when people talk about wireless on the Kindle they're talking about Whispernet. How many ebooks have you bought on the Iliad directly on the device? While sat in a cafe perhaps. Mine certainly can't.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote