Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #376
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I finished listening to Butcher's Cold Days on audio (still reading as an ebook). It really is a pleasure getting Marster's back as the reader. Very good and recommended. I have another 30 minutes to go with Riodan's Mark of Athena. It's also quite good. Love the reader on that one. I also just started Pournelle's West of Honor. The reader is ok, though he sounds a bit stilted, kind of like most non-actors sound when they are reading aloud. The reader, Lance Axt, only has 5 books to his credit, four of which are Pournelle books which have come out in the last two months, so I think he will start to sound more natural as he gets more comfortable.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #377
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just finished Up Jumps the Devil by Margaret Maron, 4th book in the "Judge Deborah Knott" series of atmospheric Southern murder mysteries.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #378
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Cold Revenge by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
A real mess, if you ask me. I used to like the Agent Pendergast series a lot, but I had the impression that the authors are losing their touch. A highly convoluted, unbelievable plot with a few good bits scattered around. I listened to this in German and the narrator didn't do anything to make it better (though he is one of the most prolific narrators of German audiobooks).
I have that in my library but almost didn't get it because I thought that the Pendergast series was losing its punch. I may listen to it, but I may just put it off somemore. And I think I am going to pass on the latest one out.

Thanks for the heads up on that.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #379
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
I have that in my library but almost didn't get it because I thought that the Pendergast series was losing its punch. I may listen to it, but I may just put it off somemore. And I think I am going to pass on the latest one out.
Me too. I might reread some of the older ones that I liked, but I definitely won't get any more books in this series. I was really disappointed with this one.

Right now, I am listening to Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds. I have a rather hard time with that one, too, though it seems to get more interesting after about 10 hours. It is read by John Lee. It is the first book read by this narrator that I have ever listened to and I think he sounds a bit stilted, but maybe it's just me.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #380
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've enjoyed many of Reynolds' works, but Chasm City was so dark and depressing I just couldn't get into it.
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #381
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
I've enjoyed many of Reynolds' works, but Chasm City was so dark and depressing I just couldn't get into it.
Oh, thanks. The only book I have read by Reynolds is Century Rain, which I liked but which didn't blow me away, so I thought I'd give him a second chance. But then, I don't always mind dark and depressing if the story is interesting, so I won't give up quite yet.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #382
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author

Quote:
Oh, thanks. The only book I have read by Reynolds is Century Rain, which I liked but which didn't blow me away, so I thought I'd give him a second chance. But then, I don't always mind dark and depressing if the story is interesting, so I won't give up quite yet.
The first book of his I read was House of Suns, which blew me away. His imagination works on a huge scale.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #383
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
The first book of his I read was House of Suns, which blew me away. His imagination works on a huge scale.
Thanks again. I might get this one as long as it is still on sale over at Tantor Audio (I got Chasm City for 6.99 $ there, too). I have listened a bit more tonight, and I can now see what you mean by "dark and depressing". Not really a pleasant story, but the tension rises, so I'll stay with it.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #384
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author

Quote:
Thanks again. I might get this one as long as it is still on sale over at Tantor Audio (I got Chasm City for 6.99 $ there, too). I have listened a bit more tonight, and I can now see what you mean by "dark and depressing". Not really a pleasant story, but the tension rises, so I'll stay with it.
My second favorite of his is Pushing Ice. Sort of a generational saga.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #385
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
My second favorite of his is Pushing Ice. Sort of a generational saga.
Looks interesting, too. I've got House of Suns for the time being, but I still haven't finished Chasm City. Maybe I'll pause it over Christmas and listen to something more cheerful instead.

In the meantime, I have given up on the Lit2go version of Oliver Twist. Not because of the story, but because of the reader. There is some good stuff at Lit2go, but this one was just horrible. Maybe it would sound better to a native speaker, but I just couldn't continue listening.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #386
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author

Quote:
Looks interesting, too. I've got House of Suns for the time being, but I still haven't finished Chasm City. Maybe I'll pause it over Christmas and listen to something more cheerful instead.
One thing I found with both House of Suns and Pushing Ice was that the characters were far more sympathetic than those in Chasm City.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #387
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
I'm finishing up The Dream series by Nora Roberts with Finding the Dream and then moving on to Beautiful Ruins. I'm also gradually purchasing the Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton. Audiobooks are wonderful and help me survive running marathons and ultramarathons.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #388
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finally finished the first five books of Zelazny's Amber series, which makes the Corwin story arc. Well done and recommended. The next five has Wil Wheaton as the reader and makes up the Merlin story arc. So far I've liked the books he's read. I've got the 10 book omnibook in dead tree, but for some reason, never got around to reading the last 5 books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #389
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Probably has something to do with the SIZE of that omnibook!

I listened to the first of the Amber books, but I confess it hasn't held up for me. I've got the next two in my Library, so I may well give them a try. I didn't not like the first, just wasn't as taken with it as I remembered them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #390
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author

I felt much the same way. It wasn't as explosively grab-you-by-the-throat interesting as it was the first time around. But I'll continue on and see how it goes. For now.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations