Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Dean
Dean began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
There is a fairly common assumption that copywrite protects the rich. Sadly, most creative artists (all covered by copywrite in much of the world), are anything but rich. Copywrite also protects the poor.

Since any legislation is arbitrary by nature, protection is also arbitrary. The poor artist is less likely to go after someone for stealing their works (there are Russian websites selling musician's songs, without their knowledge).
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Please follow our guidelines for posting, especially guideline one: Discuss things politely. The guidelines can be found here.

pshrynk (moderator)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
How many of the avatars used here are "in copyright" and therefore "illegal" by this "definition"? Like maybe a Dalek?
Actually, HarryT took that picture himself, so owns the copyright.
And I live near many of the locations used in Doctor Who and Torchwood, so may yet reappear with a new avatar next time I run across the film crew.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
copywrite protects the rich. [...snip...] Copywrite also protects the poor.
I wish it could also protect us from incorrect spelling.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
Dean
Dean began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
I wish it could also protect us from incorrect spelling.
Okay: copyright.
But copywrite is actually spelled correctly (if you like puns).
I hope this helps.
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
You were telling me what was "legal", and implying that my actions were ethically wrong. You certainly weren't trying to help me find the images.

As there are many reasons to display and discuss and, dare I say it, make use of some 60-year-old (and older) images, I find your implications insulting.

Sarcasm is the only socially acceptable response to such behavior that I'm capable of. I'm capable of other responses, but they lack... subtlety.

m a r
Probably best if you made no response at all then.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, god, no!

Not that!

Someone looking at pictures without permission?

Horrors! How will the rich ever survive?

m a r
Please remember that the only permission required to look at pictures is permission to enter the site. Making copies of them is a different matter.

The same is true of books, by the way.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Since we're talking about Doc...

Now that it's 2010, does that mean the first magazine tales are finally in the public domain for us Canadians?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #24
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Probably best if you made no response at all then.
Nice of you to know what's best. Those of us without simplistic ethical codes of our own really depend on you who are simply superior to keep us in line. I'm sure you walk around your neighborhood telling folks what they really ought to be doing, and how they're not meeting your simple superior standards. I'd hate to think that you're not completely congruent with this behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Please remember that the only permission required to look at pictures is permission to enter the site. Making copies of them is a different matter.

The same is true of books, by the way.
Entering the site and viewing the pictures immediately makes copies. As usual, the morally superior don't know what they're talking about.

And I don't need permission to look at anything. I refuse to accept the servitude and paternalism that that implies.

Also as usual, the morally superior basically use elite-serving concepts based on property rights as a substitute for actual thought.

m a r

ps: If you don't want to be called out as a hypocritical ignoramus, don't keep engaging me on this. I started this thread looking for clues to find some pictures. Instead I've received moral instruction from peasants knuckling their foreheads. If you don't want to help, you be polite and keep your damn mouth shut. Busybodies, the lot of you.
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #25
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Since we're talking about Doc...

Now that it's 2010, does that mean the first magazine tales are finally in the public domain for us Canadians?
Only the ones that were written by Authors, who died before 1960. Lester Dent wrote most (but not all) Doc Savages, 159 are now in Canadian public domain. The others aren't. I created a thread with the list, let me find a linky...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=Doc+Savage
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Nice of you to know what's best. Those of us without simplistic ethical codes of our own really depend on you who are simply superior to keep us in line. I'm sure you walk around your neighborhood telling folks what they really ought to be doing, and how they're not meeting your simple superior standards. I'd hate to think that you're not completely congruent with this behavior.

Entering the site and viewing the pictures immediately makes copies. As usual, the morally superior don't know what they're talking about.

And I don't need permission to look at anything. I refuse to accept the servitude and paternalism that that implies.

Also as usual, the morally superior basically use elite-serving concepts based on property rights as a substitute for actual thought.

m a r

ps: If you don't want to be called out as a hypocritical ignoramus, don't keep engaging me on this. I started this thread looking for clues to find some pictures. Instead I've received moral instruction from peasants knuckling their foreheads. If you don't want to help, you be polite and keep your damn mouth shut. Busybodies, the lot of you.

The original scanned source for most infringing version of Doc Savages was Black Mask, which was taken down after losing an infringment lawsuit. Conde' Nast has assiduously enforced its copyrights.

I have heard that the Black Mask website had the images you seem to want. However, since the direct case law of the lawsuit, advertised hosts for the infringing material have been scarce. I don't use P-to-P at all, so I have no idea whether there is a Torrent that has what you want.

I have also heard that many of the "infringing" CD's of Doc Savages include images as well. They pop up occasionally on E-Bay. Whether you consort with such sellers is your business. I am not suggesting that you do.

As to your comments about the web site...

This is a useful website for many things regarding e-book-readers. The site wished to remain squeaky clean as far as copyright material goes. Nobody is required to surf here. Most who do surf here regularly respect the site rules, so nobody will have cause to file legal complains about the site. You may perceive this as being holier-than-thou, we perceive as the requirement to keep this site readily available.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
calvin-c
Guru

Quote:
And I don't need permission to look at anything.
I do beg to differ-try to look at the pictures I have *inside* my house without my permission & I'll have you arrested for trespassing. Assuming I find out about it, of course.

Quote:
ps: If you don't want to be called out as a hypocritical ignoramus, don't keep engaging me on this.... If you don't want to help, you be polite and keep your damn mouth shut. Busybodies, the lot of you.
Actually, I have been trying to help you. Not necessarily help you find what you want, but trying to help you keep from being banned. Not my problem if you don't want that help. (And I have at least 40 years experience dealing with people who think I'm a hypocritical ignoramus. Most of them now know that I'm not hypocritical-although some of them do still think I'm an ignoramus. Matter of opinion, that.)
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #28
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The original scanned source for most infringing version of Doc Savages was Black Mask, which was taken down after losing an infringment lawsuit. Conde' Nast has assiduously enforced its copyrights.

I have heard that the Black Mask website had the images you seem to want. However, since the direct case law of the lawsuit, advertised hosts for the infringing material have been scarce. I don't use P-to-P at all, so I have no idea whether there is a Torrent that has what you want.

I have also heard that many of the "infringing" CD's of Doc Savages include images as well. They pop up occasionally on E-Bay. Whether you consort with such sellers is your business. I am not suggesting that you do.
I have the Blackmask DVD which predates the takedown. There are no Doc Savage cover images on that disc.

I don't recall seeing the images on the web site, but if they were, the takedown was extremely thorough, because even the Wayback machine isn't retaining an archive (go to http://web.archive.org/web/200111300...ion/index.html and click on one of the Conde Nast-claimed links vs "true" PD to see what I mean.)

The docsavage.org site seems to randomly generate one pulp cover image every time you reload the page. Click around there for a week, and you might find several.

Last edited by curtw; 01-23-2010 at 10:30 AM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
The docsavage.org site seems to randomly generate one pulp cover image every time you reload the page. Click around there for a week, and you might find several.
Or write the link for the images directly: http://www.docsavage.org/pulp/3303.jpg is the magazine's #1, http://www.docsavage.org/pulp/4907.jpg is the last (filenames are yymm.jpg). The books are http://www.docsavage.org/ban/001.jpg to, at least, http://www.docsavage.org/ban/127.jpg
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Only the ones that were written by Authors, who died before 1960. Lester Dent wrote most (but not all) Doc Savages, 159 are now in Canadian public domain. The others aren't. I created a thread with the list, let me find a linky...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=Doc+Savage
Wow, I can't believe I missed that thread. Thanks!
radius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covers, doc savage, pulp