Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Device: PSR505
Calibre Feature Request / Idea

Hi All,

I just had an Idea for a feature that might benefit other users as well. Im using Calibre since ages and Over the last years many ebook resellers have been popping up and naturally i bought a couple of books. ( 300 + ).

I do have an Sony 650 and a Kindle Touch and both of them are working fine. I have bought epub's and mobi's from various sources and I am constantly converting between them back and forth. As im also using my own sources for reading material (mostly TeX and technical Documents) I now have most of the documents in both Formats.

Lately it appears that I getting quite forgetfull on where i bought a specifc format, or If that format was the original and i hust tweakt it to my liking. Simple Example.

I bought Books from ResterBoard (local reseller) in mobi format, To read them on the 650 naturally i converted them to epub / tweak them and now have both versions.

To Complete the series i bought the remaining books in epub format. to read them on the kindle i converted them into mobi. Now i have 27 Books

17 are original mobi
10 are original epub

So now i converted them back and forth and have no idea anymore what was the original file i bought! ... I would like to have an Option on the Edit MetaData Dialog. To "Lock" a specific format. In case i accidentally try to overwrite this Book format a message will appear --> Not simple the current message. Currently it only tells me the format is already there. Get my point?

By this way I can "Lock" retail epubs or mobis or or or ... LRF's etc and prevent them from accidentally being overwritten by my conversion process.

I made a mockup -> see attached image, And I suppose it wouldnt be to complicated to implement this. If others may find the idea useful.

The checkbox is below the Format list in the detail view.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40.png
Views:	348
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	91968  
icq70610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by icq70610 View Post
By this way I can "Lock" retail epubs or mobis or or or ... LRF's etc and prevent them from accidentally being overwritten by my conversion process.

I made a mockup -> see attached image, And I suppose it wouldnt be to complicated to implement this. If others may find the idea useful.

The checkbox is below the Format list in the detail view.

Joe
I tried to explain this a while back and get the ability to lock a format (with an extra step required to override on a per book basis: no bulk or All allowed.) You did a way better job of explaining (an that picture was worth the 1K words )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Device: PSR505
mmmmh .. :-)

It seems there is not much feedback on this request. For me personally that means

a) its not clearly formulated. To the Why? How? ....

b) or there is simple not much interest in this request.

c) it wasnt the right place to ask for this feature.

Could someone of the senior calibre folks please point me into the right direction to where i should upload the request? If the forum isnt the right place i would like to point the request into the correct place.

Because honestly i think that is an improvement that a lot of people will benefit on and I wouldn't like to let it go. Thanks for a great piece of software by the way.

Joe
icq70610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This forum is a perfectly good place to request a feature, if no one has responded then that means no one is willing to do the work to implement the feature. See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-what-can-i-do
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icq70610 View Post
mmmmh .. :-)

It seems there is not much feedback on this request. For me personally that means

a) its not clearly formulated. To the Why? How? ....

b) or there is simple not much interest in this request.

c) it wasnt the right place to ask for this feature.

Could someone of the senior calibre folks please point me into the right direction to where i should upload the request? If the forum isnt the right place i would like to point the request into the correct place.

Because honestly i think that is an improvement that a lot of people will benefit on and I wouldn't like to let it go. Thanks for a great piece of software by the way.

Joe
Just No skill to implement

We did gain a "original_EPUB" feature a while back, but I still yearn for the "Anti-Stomp On a Format" safety.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just No skill to implement

We did gain a "original_EPUB" feature a while back, but I still yearn for the "Anti-Stomp On a Format" safety.
Me too!
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Me too!
One thing it would do is reduce the confusion of which format is the original format, particularly if the format-lock were shown somewhere on Edit Metadata form.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
One thing it would do is reduce the confusion of which format is the original format, particularly if the format-lock were shown somewhere on Edit Metadata form.
IMHO The Format lock should only be in the Formats Box next to /on top of the format Being Locked.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO The Format lock should only be in the Formats Box next to /on top of the format Being Locked.
What the ducks said. Or as icq showed in pic in Post#1.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote