Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Please explain how useful the cloud might be when sitting on an airplane heading to Asia (and I don't mean the cloud below you).

Rich

Last edited by mpeg2; 10-04-2011 at 02:52 PM.
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadenfroh View Post
The problem with Cloud is the annoyance of uploading. Small files like ebooks might be fine, but not videos.
Just load the videos locally. How many videos do you need on it at one time.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
Please explain how useful the cloud might be when sitting on an airplane heading to Asia (and I don't mean the cloud below you).

Rich
8 GB is a lot of space, my first PC only had 4 GB and I never ran out of space.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
8 GB is a lot of space, my first PC only had 4 GB and I never ran out of space.
Did high-def video exist then?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Just load the videos locally. How many videos do you need on it at one time.
Whenever you get into the "How much do you need" arguments it gets bad. Really, I need nothing. I mean, I have skymall magazine to read, right? And when I'm done with that I can force my seatmates into 10 hours of hangman and tic tac toe games on our napkins.

How much do I want though? How much am I willing to spend money to get? Much much bigger than 8GB, that's for sure.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I agree, some people want more space. That is fine. But this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadenfroh View Post
8GB is not enough for the TV shows, PDFs, and music I have.
I expect it wasn't designed to carry your full library of media either. Just that which you want to consume for the next day or so.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It's a 7 inch screen, You don't need a huge file size. Do you really need to watch "high-def" on a 7 inch screen?

Last edited by hn333; 10-04-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #23
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Whenever you get into the "How much do you need" arguments it gets bad. Really, I need nothing. I mean, I have skymall magazine to read, right? And when I'm done with that I can force my seatmates into 10 hours of hangman and tic tac toe games on our napkins.

How much do I want though? How much am I willing to spend money to get? Much much bigger than 8GB, that's for sure.
Well thats you. Buy a ipad.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Each person is going to have their own wants, and I do think 8GB is low enough that they should provide and SD card slot (or something similar). In fact, that is probably one of the easiest ways to provide expandability. If you don't need more than 8GB, you're set. If you want more, than an additional 8GB is $10 to $20 away.

If I were going on a long trip, then I'd probably want more than 8GB. The cloud does have its limits. I'm a user who likes music, and likes it in FLAC format. I'm not sure that the cloud can really satisfy my needs in terms of this type of format. I'd like it to, but the bandwidth isn't there and too many network providers limit the amount of data that can be transmitted. These are huge limitations that I hope will go away some day.

Unfortunately, this won't ever happen. Amazon is competing with Apple and I don't think Apple has ever added expandability in that regards, and Amazon probably doesn't feel a need to offer more given the price-point their selling at.

Last edited by emalvick; 10-04-2011 at 04:21 PM.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
you only have access to the cloud storage if you're near wifi. if you're say at the beach, you won't be able to access your stuff.

if you want to watch a couple movies, downloading them will take quite a while - and will use up a lot of your battery.

amazon cloud storage will become something hackers will not be able to resist trying for. if they do manage to bring it down, you won't be able to download your stuff at all during that period, or at all if they find a way to damage it.

uploading large files - which are the ones that one would need to store - takes a long time. i know people with .75 Mbps upload speed. and btw, uploading movies to the cloud server will suck down your battery.

i know people whose servers were somehow hacked, and they were careful and pros. will data in the cloud servers be secure? don't bet on it. we had a trojan inserted into all our web pages once, and our logins are long and random. it was done through an exploit in a program. these things can and do happen. people's passwords get successfully guessed or intercepted via malware. or via phishing scams.

lots of people will be storing largish things - and they're going to have to pay to store. i'm reading comments from people on amazon who plan to store their entire video libraries. in those cases the kindle fire is a way to upsell them into a monthly recurring fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleFan1 View Post
Why not?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #26
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I fully expect Amazon to be selling me the Fire (2) with expandable memory next year. I don't blame people for calling this a deal breaker though. 8GB is really anemic in today's market.
I really doubt that - the whole point of the Fire is to sell their own media to you (and their cloud storage service).

While I don't think they are taking a loss on the hardware, it's likely at a very slim margin - they don't really want people who aren't going to buy media from them (or their cloud storage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
you only have access to the cloud storage if you're near wifi. if you're say at the beach, you won't be able to access your stuff.

if you want to watch a couple movies, downloading them will take quite a while - and will use up a lot of your battery.
It's an LCD tablet - why are you taking it to the beach to begin with? (Not to mention the small percentage of people who actually have a beach and the amount of time they spend there...)

And you might have missed it, but streaming movies is huge business these days. Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc, etc. Something like half the internet bandwidth is used for video streaming, most of which is done via boxes hooked up to a TV (mostly game consoles, ironically, but also dedicated boxes). The only difference is that it would now go to a tablet.

Last edited by JeremyR; 10-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The KFire screen is only 1024 x 600 pixels. HD would be wasted on such a screen. Even 720p is too big to fit the whole frame on it as it requires a 1280 x 720 pixel area. I would be willing to bet that Amazon will merely upconvert 480p non-HD video for the KFire. If so, the files will be relatively small yet still look like they were HD due to the small, bright screen.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-04-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #28
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
3G would make it cost more, if it had 3G it wouldn't be free.
Hence why I'd already said;

"I can understand the reasons of it being omitted - hardware cost and perhaps people's unwillingness to get tied into another data plan."

As for hd material on a less than hd screen, 720p mkv's look MILES better on my iPad than poxy SD material. One typical 45 minute rip of a show weighs in at about 1.1gb. 8 divided by 1.1 = not many.

Last edited by yegon; 10-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #29
shadenfroh
shadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toys

Device: none
I've read that 6GB out of the 8GB is actually usable. So really we're talking about 6GB?

Like others have said, if you're travelling to a place without wifi or with limited wifi speeds, Cloud becomes pretty useless.

Would it be possible to mod an SD card slot? :P
shadenfroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #30
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the beach was an example, but i take my current tablet various places to work. the bottom line - not everyplace has wifi.

streaming is huge business, but lots of wifi spots are slow. that means lots of pausing to buffer, which can make a movie too annoying to watch. besides, i don't rip my dvd's - i was reporting what people were saying they wanted to do, and that was store their movie collection on the cloud server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
It's an LCD tablet - why are you taking it to the beach to begin with? (Not to mention the small percentage of people who actually have a beach and the amount of time they spend there...)

And you might have missed it, but streaming movies is huge business these days. Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc, etc. Something like half the internet bandwidth is used for video streaming, most of which is done via boxes hooked up to a TV (mostly game consoles, ironically, but also dedicated boxes). The only difference is that it would now go to a tablet.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote