Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
DanielSt
Enthusiast
DanielSt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Alternative method to downgrade KT2?

Hello All,

I have been trying to downgrade my Kindle KT2 using the instructions found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272132

The Kindle is already successfully jailbroken, with KUAL and Mobile Read Package Installer. I have run into a snag at the USB Networking stage (after enabling USB networking on my Kindle, the network doesn't show up on my laptop; it shows up on my friend's computer, but I have been unable to connect to it via PuTTY, and now upon trying again on my friend's computer, it is no longer possible to set the IP address of the Kindle network device for some reason...)

I am wondering if there is some alternative method of downgrading the Kindle? (I have the files of the firmware version I would like to downgrade to.)

(I'm trying in parallel to find a used Kindle online that has an older firmware version, but Amazon's automatic updates are making this extremely difficult)

Thanks in advance for your help!
DanielSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #2
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
As I wrote to you in another thread, the safest and easiest way is to connect through the serial port of the reader. This, of course, requires disassembling the device and the ability to solder several cables.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.t.h View Post
As I wrote to you in another thread, the safest and easiest way is to connect through the serial port of the reader. This, of course, requires disassembling the device and the ability to solder several cables.

Thank you for this suggestion. This would be beyond my capabilities. I have been looking for someone in my city who has experience working with and repairing kindles, if I find such a person, I will mention this. Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

You can try to install the koreader. It has a built-in ssh server and you will connect to the reader via wifi.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:54 PM   #5
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can try to install the koreader. It has a built-in ssh server and you will connect to the reader via wifi.
Aha! Are there any more details about this in any of the threads here on mobileread? Would I connect via the Kindle's wifi?
Advert
Old 02-25-2022, 08:33 AM   #6
eddie.t.h
Groupie

It's not complicated. In the koreader'a menu you attach the ssh server, you can select without authorization. Then, from a computer connected to the same network, you will connect using a putty. The default port is 2222.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's not complicated. In the koreader'a menu you attach the ssh server, you can select without authorization. Then, from a computer connected to the same network, you will connect using a putty. The default port is 2222.
Thank you. I get the feeling that this presupposes some knowledge/expertise (a novice like me may need some more step-by-step, detailed instructions), but I might give this a try and see if I can figure it out.

How would I then downgrade the Kindle after connecting?
Old 02-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
eddie.t.h
Groupie

You will have to follow the directions from the guide to which you gave the link. The problem may be that you will overwrite the working system. Whether it is completely safe must be said by someone smarter than me. I have never tried to do it this way, for me it is simpler through the serial port.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:27 PM   #9
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
You will have to follow the directions from the guide to which you gave the link. The problem may be that you will overwrite the working system. Whether it is completely safe must be said by someone smarter than me. I have never tried to do it this way, for me it is simpler through the serial port.
Thanks for this info, much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:05 AM   #10
eddie.t.h
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSt View Post
I have been looking for someone in my city who has experience working with and repairing kindles, if I find such a person, I will mention this. Thanks again.
And where are you from?
Old 02-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #11
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
And where are you from?
I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #12
eddie.t.h
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSt View Post
I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand.
For a moment I thought that you could send me this reader and I would do this downgrade to you. Unfortunately, I live in Poland, so the shipping costs will rather exceed the value of the device.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #13
DanielSt
Enthusiast

Quote:
For a moment I thought that you could send me this reader and I would do this downgrade to you. Unfortunately, I live in Poland, so the shipping costs will rather exceed the value of the device.
Hey, this is a really cool proposition, thank you!! I really appreciate your offering to do this. I actually just ordered a Kindle DX graphite yesterday -- which has the most recent update, but the DX updates in recent years, I have been told, only affected the security certificates and presumably not the display. I am going to test this out, and if the display causes me problems, I may be very happy to take you up on this offer. I don't mind the postage costs if it means being able to have a Kindle I can use again.

Thank you again, I will let you know.