Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
EFF Guide to Reader's Rights with Ebooks

In case you haven't seen it, the TidBits newsletter (mac centric) points out this article by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, about readers rights with ebooks.

https://www.eff.org/wp/digital-books-and-your-rights

(err, if there already is a thread, delete me please!)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't 'think' it's been posted before, but that page does look familiar.

The sad fact is that most mainstream e-readers won't match the criteria on that page. The Kindle for example fails VERY badly which is disappointing. It's a good frame of reference though, to help us appreciate the kinds of rights we need for these devices. Anything less is really just another corporation trying to take advantage of the digital 'land grab', trying to take more rights that consumers previously had with print media.

When compared to print media, the disadvantages of Kindle in terms of privacy, books being 'deactivated', book lending, re-selling books really stack up and make it look bad.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
MrBlueSky
Connoisseur
MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrBlueSky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 600
Direct quote from the article

<< The ability to read privately and anonymously is essential to freedom of expression, thought and inquiry >>

Hmm.

All the files I have ever downloaded meet these 8 basic rights I have as a reader.

1) My sony is not activated. I never connect it to an online PC.

2) I tell it what to do.

3) I can make as many annotations, highlights and additions as I like.

4) Of course I own the files I download.

5) They are certainly censorship resistant.

6) DRM is evil, I won’t allow it.

7) Information wants to be free.

8) All files are either plain text, basic HTML or RTF.

Freedom is easy to find when you know where to look or it!
MrBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky View Post
Direct quote from the article

<< The ability to read privately and anonymously is essential to freedom of expression, thought and inquiry >>

Hmm.

All the files I have ever downloaded meet these 8 basic rights I have as a reader.

1) My sony is not activated. I never connect it to an online PC.

2) I tell it what to do.

3) I can make as many annotations, highlights and additions as I like.

4) Of course I own the files I download.

5) They are certainly censorship resistant.

6) DRM is evil, I won’t allow it.

7) Information wants to be free.

8) All files are either plain text, basic HTML or RTF.

Freedom is easy to find when you know where to look or it!
Hear hear! I agree and feel that my Sony is pretty darn close to meeting most of the checked items--every reader should show up as a drive! Who needs proprietary, phoning home software?!

Last edited by thename; 02-23-2010 at 05:53 PM.
thename is offline   Reply With Quote