Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #46
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I don't think I've ever read for 10 hours in one day in my entire life. Be it paper, e-ink, LCD etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #47
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I'm wondering if Hulu will provide HTML5/.H264 support at some point...they seem intent on embracing any device. http://gigaom.com/2010/01/29/hulus-p...bile-internet/
Yeah, or they could put out an App to get around it like Youtube has.

Which is why flash isn't a deal breaker for me in a tablet, unlike the first two things I listed.
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #48
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
To be able to print, you need a printer driver, and I seriously doubt that gigabytes of printer drivers (that what is installed on OS X) will be installed on the iPad. And even with the gigabytes installed, there is not all printer driver needed (for exemple I still need to install a driver for my Canon MP970)
Why would you install gigabytes of printer drivers, presumably you just install the one for the printer you want to print to?

Sensibly they would use pictbridge or bluetooth printing to be honest (for a wireless device this would make sense).

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #49
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbond1007 View Post
Why would you install gigabytes of printer drivers, presumably you just install the one for the printer you want to print to?

Sensibly they would use pictbridge or bluetooth printing to be honest (for a wireless device this would make sense).

Mark
I agree. Even with the latest Mac OSX, Snow Leopard will only download the drivers to printers it finds on your computer/network (with the option of course, to download all of them)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #50
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
All I need it to add for me to buy is:

Built in handwriting support that makes writing accurate and precise and allows me to mark up--at the least--PDFs and word documents--if not any content on the device.
From what I've read, the software for handwriting support is in the Pad.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...g-keyboard.ars

There's a kind of keyboard area that comes up for using it. Some apps on the iphone already provide for it. I think it's just a matter of time before the capability is cross-app, like the keyboard.

Quote:
Multitasking. I want a tablet for academic research, need to be able to go online and search for articles cited in the one I'm reading without closing the reading program, be able to check and send e-mail while doing other things etc..
The absence of multitasking in the situation you describe is an illusion. You are not doing two things at once - you are merely switching back & forth between two things very fast. So long as the reading app and the browsing app open & close (1) fast and (2) at the page you left, you can multitask in that sense just by moving back & forth between the apps. So it's mainly a psychological thing.

Real multitasking - doing two things at once - involves using different senses. Like reading a book & listening to Pandora while you read. That kind, apparently, you can't do, except with iTunes.

Quote:
Flash--for hulu and other video sites etc. Though this one's not a deal breaker..
I'm certainly no techie, but from what I've been reading, flash is going to die out. Apparently, lots of people already disable flash in their browsers.

Last edited by Harmon; 02-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #51
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

There's a kind of keyboard area that comes up for using it. Some apps on the iphone already provide for it. I think it's just a matter of time before the capability is cross-app, like the keyboard.

I'm curious about that feature. The iPhone already has handwriting recognition built in for chinese/japanese characters-I wonder if this is just an extension of that, or something more comprehensive.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #52
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Question PDF Support Details

Does anyone know of what can be expected from the pdf support - ie toc, links, can you just upload pdf's to a folder or is it a hack like the iphone where it has to be an email attachment?
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #53
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
Does anyone know of what can be expected from the pdf support - ie toc, links, can you just upload pdf's to a folder or is it a hack like the iphone where it has to be an email attachment?
Good question-they haven't really talked about how files are supported yet. Would love to have a Preview App like in Snow Leopard.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #54
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

Yeah that could solve itself--if the writing with a capacitive stylus is precise enough for someone with small and sloppy hand writing like me. And if it allows me to do all the handwriting I'd need to in all the apps I need--PDF files, word files, notepad for taking notes, ability to mark up e-books etc.

Quote:
The absence of multitasking in the situation you describe is an illusion. You are not doing two things at once - you are merely switching back & forth between two things very fast. So long as the reading app and the browsing app open & close (1) fast and (2) at the page you left, you can multitask in that sense just by moving back & forth between the apps. So it's mainly a psychological thing.
There's just no way that you could save what you were reading and marking up, close the program and open another app to look up something online etc. as quick as switching between simultaneously running programs. I'm 100% about convenience when it comes to work related stuff. If I'm going to buy a tablet for work--it has to fit what I want it to do 100% or I'm not shelling out the cash.

Quote:
I'm certainly no techie, but from what I've been reading, flash is goingto die out. Apparently, lots of people already disable flash in their browsers.
Possibly. But it hasn't yet so some video sites I use regularly wouldn't work right now. It might be a non-issue down the road if flash dies or there are apps for the flash video sites I use etc.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #55
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Last edited by Acrimonus; 03-17-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #56
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrimonus View Post
Seeing some comments in here about people who haven't gotten another e-reader yet and are buying the iPad for ebook reading, I recommend against it as the LCD screen will cause you some major migraines and eyestrain. Get yourself a proper e-reader for reading eBooks.
LCD screens don't give me any problems. I read on the REB1100 for years. I also read on an iPhone.

You can definitely get yourself a "proper e-ereader" though...I won't insult you for your choice.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #57
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Seeing some comments in here about people who haven't gotten another e-reader yet and are buying the iPad for ebook reading, I recommend against it as the LCD screen will cause you some major migraines and eyestrain. Get yourself a proper e-reader for reading eBooks. If you don't read enough that LCD screens will give you a headache after the many hours of reading then it probably means buying a dedicated reading device is also not in your best interest. Use your computer if you don't read enough to justify getting an e-reader, don't use a half-baked iTampon.
There are people on this board who have been reading on lcd based displays for many many years. Certainly alot longer than eink based devices have been around. Everyone is different but even I'm (someone who's a big advocate of eink over lcd) getting a bit tired of all the constant posts telling people they WILL get eyestrain and headaches reading on lcd screens.

Millions of people all over the world use lcd screens for hours on end for work and leisure with no ill effect. Are they ideal for reading? Probably not but to state that reading on one will case eyestrain and migrianes is just ridiculous. I'm sure anyone who is going to buy an iPad knows full well how they cope with lcd technology.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #58
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Calling a device with 160,000 applications at launch "closed" is a bit of a stretch.
See this thread
Apple has Stanza remove USB sharing from App
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72367

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020200995.html

Ha!
We did not have to wait long, did we?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #59
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
See this thread
Apple has Stanza remove USB sharing from App
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72367

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020200995.html

Ha!
We did not have to wait long, did we?
Again, that was never an authorized method to access the iPhone. Lexcycle, the developer of Stanza, didn't even write the tool to use USB sharing, that was iPhone Explorer. Stanza's official method of uploading content to the iPhone has always been over wi-fi.

And the new 3.2 SDK provides File Sharing, which improves file transfer from a PC to the iPad over the current model.

So..you may have to wait a little longer before...whatever it is we are waiting for.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #60
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
The battery life for a Touch is only 5-6 hours? Wow. I guess that's with wifi turned on?
Yep.

Quote:
I recommend against it as the LCD screen will cause you some major migraines and eyestrain.
Hmmm. I have used LCD computer screens for years and years to do plenty of reading for hours at a time, and I've never suddered migraines or eyestrain.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote