Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
For #2 and 3 if you tap the "check for new content" button in My Docs that should update everything for you.

I'll let someone who's rooted answer the rest, cause I've no clue.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #17
Tom2112
Tablet eReader
Tom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, iPad, Dell Streak 7, Moto RAZR MAXX
Minor update:
I discovered that my nook has a serial number beginning with 1003, which seems to indicate that I cannot softroot it.

So what are my options?
Tom2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #18
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Unfortunately, new nooks are very difficult to softroot and you should only undertake it after reading everything, including the warnings, and nookdev. That said, the problems with the new content are better with softrooting but you will still need to check for new content as mentioned above. Otherwise, softrooting turns the library into an entirely different device with non-B&N search and sort and display features way beyond the crippled B&N software.

Calibre will translate almost anything you want into epub which is what you would need to do for almost anyone else as well since it is hard, if not impossible to find anybody supporting all the formats.

You should be able to store a ton of titles in the root memory while getting a micro card. I was fortunate to have added most of mine with adapters so switching back and forth is no big deal. Two Gig will hold 3000 plus books and that is beyond the current limit B&N will support (sorting craps out above 1275). nookLibrary from nookdev will support 3500 or so. Currently, 2Gb cards are currently under $10 delivered so it could be worse
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2112 View Post
Minor update:
I discovered that my nook has a serial number beginning with 1003, which seems to indicate that I cannot softroot it.

So what are my options?
What's the firmware version? If it's 1.4.0, then it can be downgraded to the 1.0.0 firmware and then softrooted (the easy way). Some Nooks with a serial number starting with 1003 have the 1.4.0 firmware, but the ones with 1.4.1 and above cannot be downgraded to the 1.0.0 firmware.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote