Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Greetings from Hawaii!

edit: I just noticed that you cannot see the original filenames in the image thumbs... just browse from top left to bottom right when you follow the list.

It's my third day on O'ahu and so far it's been beautiful, despite the rather unusual rainy time we've had for the last two days. Some comments:
  • cimg1348.jpg: the beautiful view from our hotel room
  • cimg1363.jpg: birds... everywhere
  • cimg1375.jpg: the infamous diamond head shot from waikiki beach
  • cimg1388.jpg: another shot of waikiki, the most famous (and crowded) beach of Hawaii
  • cimg1394.jpg: diamond head, as seen from the kapiolani park
  • cimg1401.jpg: it doesn't always have to be waikiki beach
  • cimg1421.jpg: half way done climping up diamond head
  • cimg1423.jpg: even though it's been rainy and windy today, one cannot miss the beauty of this island
  • cimg1433.jpg: my final shot of today, from top of diamond head toward waikiki beach
For tomorrow I've planned to see the Northers part of O'ahu. Will keep you updated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1348.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	991   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1363.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	992   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1375.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	993   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1388.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	994   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1394.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	995   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1401.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	996   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1424.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	998   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1433.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	999  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oooooohhhhhh! Ahhhhhhhh!
Looks so nice! Great pics.
And uploaded via your x50v?!

Tip for the day: Stay away from any active volcanos!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a terminal available at the hotel lobby which I was using for this post. I get so easily tired typing in text with my stylus. Wish right now I had a Treo...

Thanx for the advice I'll keep it in mind next time
Old 02-28-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
alex_mathews
alex_mathews began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 600
No active volcanoes to worry about on O'ahu.

The pictures are great! Just as beautiful as I remember it from the trip I took a few months ago. The view from the top if Diamond Head is amazing! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
alex_mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:12 AM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Lucky Alex! Very nice pictures!

And to think all I've got to look at is the green-brown (that's an *ugly* green-brown) colour of grass and trees having been through a mild (i.e. sloppy and slushy) winter... Oh well.

On the technical side of things... I'm going to bet you've got a camera with either a SD or CF memory card, used that in the X50v, and uploaded the pictures that way... Most impressive! To think one can (easily? - I haven't tried myself) upload freshly-taken pictures with nothing more than a camera, a memory card, and a handheld... And of course complimentary wifi.

(Reminds me of the best place I've ever seen wifi... On a ferry. I was on a vacation in the Maritimes - Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland - and on the ferry betweeen Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia) and Newfoundland I turned on my Powerbook's wifi on a whim... And was greeted by a high-speed unencrypted connection. Needless to say, I was quite distracted after having been a week or two without internet of any sort in Newfoundland... Not even a dialup connection in sight for most of the trip! And wow, that got longer than I intended. I seem to tend to ramble on when I'm in need of sleep... So I think I'll go do that. Sleep, I mean.)
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Alex Turcic: YOU SUCK!!!!

Green with envy,
sunshine
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Beautiful pics, Alex.... I really must agree with Sunshine, though; you suck!!!!!

(even greener with envy )
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks guys, I know you wish only the best for me (right?!!).

Today we rented a car and explored the South-East of O'ahu. The first photo was made from the Pali Lookout on our way to Kailua (a classic beach town not overcrowded with tourists like Honolulu). The Lookout is also the place where the last major Hawaiian battle took place. The next two photos depict the gorgeous Ko'olau mountains, which look and feel just like out of the movie show Lost. On the forth picture you see a happy boar family which passed our way. On our way back to Waikiki we decided to make a stop at Pearl Habor and visit the USS Arizona Memorial (probably the single most popular visitor attraction on O'ahu). Over 1100 people were killed with the sinking of the USS Arizona. See the last two pictures.

OK, time for some rest, or I won't be able to get up tonight for a good dinner!

PS: I directly transferred the photos to a terminal in the hotel lobby, where I quickly installed a small image resizing tool (don't tell anyone) to make the uploads smaller.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1459.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1000   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1497.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1001   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1503.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	1002   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1517.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1003   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1526.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1004   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1529.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1005  
Old 03-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Mmm. Boar. That's good eatin'!

Feel better Craig.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It looks like a nice place to visit, don't know if I'd like to live there (that didn't sound very convincing, did it.... lol )

It's also good to see our trusty PDA's can function well as the sole connectivity/entertainment/travelling tool, though.

Keep the photo's coming, Alex! How about one of you on a surfboard!!!!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Sorry for the lack of updates. My flight back goes tomorrow and I'll arrive at home on Sunday - 25 hours trip plus 11 hours time difference! Cannot wait to share more pictures with you (that is if you're still interested)

Alex
Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hope you "had your fill" of heaven.
I don't envy the long trip home, but your trusty electronics will help.

Tip: It's been in the news that cell phones actually do probably interfere with airplane avianics based on a CMU study, so on takeoff and landing you might not want to show off your electronics as much as usual. The stewardesses could be a little jumpy now with anything that looks even remotely like a cell phone.

Even tougher for smartphone users, I bet. Can you imagine trying to convince a stewardess that you are using your phone, but only as a pda because the phone radio is off?!!!!!

My last flight I couldn't even convince a stewardess than listing to the built-in airplane sound system with simple headphones was not using electronics. She made me (and others) put away our headphones. We were using them after we discovered the pilot had kept the onboard entertainment system on while we were on the ground. The one that has a jack in the armrest. I guess she thought the stereo headphones would transmit a lot of interference. Wires and earbuds do work at the same power levels as cell phone output levels, right?!!!!

I can't wait to ssee more pictures either!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #13
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

So you missed the flash floods? That's good. It would really put a 'damper' on your vacation.

I know I am def interested in more pics.

Bob: I don't even try to pull any punches with fly attendants. So not worth it no matter how ridick they're being.