Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Bookmarking

Ok maybe this is a really stupid question but somehow I can't get my bookmark to work. I read the manual over and over on how to add but no matter how I tried it, just didnt seem to get back to that page. Here what I did, press number 6 to add then go back to the list page and then try to go back to that book again to see the page I marked. It somehow always goes back to this one particular page. Seems like the bookmark gets stuck on this one page. I tried to remove it by holding 1 down for 2 seconds but it just doesn't work. I also hit 6 to check if there're any other bookmark under the page it always goes back to but nothing. I dont know why I can't mark any other page. It's really annoying. Can anybody help?
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
ok I think I might know why. This is the pdf file in a4 form. I guess the PP count pages according to the a4 page not the actual page that is displaying on the PP. Thats annoying. Anyone knows how to fix this problem?
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
ADE does seem to be off on where it returns you on a bookmark. If you have a page number at the top of the screen when you do a bookmark, it will work the way you expect. If not, it will return you to the previous page (by page number).

On top of that, depending on which firmware version you are using, bookmarks have gone from being pretty easy to use to taking multiple steps. The latest firmware version do not let you return to a bookmark by pressing 1-5.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
On top of that, depending on which firmware version you are using, bookmarks have gone from being pretty easy to use to taking multiple steps. The latest firmware version do not let you return to a bookmark by pressing 1-5.
I thought that, too. They seemed to work fine, then I flashed the updated software, and all of a sudden bookmarks seemed broken. After playing around a while, I finally figured out (I think ) that bookmarks in ADE (ePubs and PDFs) work differently than in other readers. For example, in HTML files, the bookmarks still work quite well (the way they're described in the printed manual), while in ePubs, you have to use the menu/ok button to bring up the menu and then go into Bookmarks and... it's a PITA.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
I thought that, too. They seemed to work fine, then I flashed the updated software, and all of a sudden bookmarks seemed broken. After playing around a while, I finally figured out (I think ) that bookmarks in ADE (ePubs and PDFs) work differently than in other readers. For example, in HTML files, the bookmarks still work quite well (the way they're described in the printed manual), while in ePubs, you have to use the menu/ok button to bring up the menu and then go into Bookmarks and... it's a PITA.
The good news is that you can have more than 5 bookmarks with this method. Using button 6 will continue as long as you want. You will need to display the list to select one. You then use the numbers 1 to 5 to pick the one you want or 9/0 to move between pages. Hold the number button down a couple of seconds to remove the book mark.

It is true that only the page number is stored in bookmarks (all book marks actually). One ADE this means that if you are not using the smallest font size you will have more than one virtual page per page number. Sony solved this by having a virtual page like 2-1 for ADE page 2 and virtual page 1 after that.

Note that all bookmarks for Jinke are only referencing a page number (except maybe mobi, I haven't checked that one). What this means is that if you use format that renumbers the document when you change zoom levels your book mark will go to the wrong place as the page 8 won't be the same place with large fonts as it is will small ones. Making sure the font size is the same as when you bookmarked will insure the right location.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While having more than 5 bookmarks could be good, it is not nearly as useful as being able to use a particular bookmark. Also, since I can't find a way to delete a bookmark, over time setting bookmarks will become nearly useless as you have to scroll through pages of them to get where you want.

One of the only times I have been using bookmarks is when I read the Bible. I had one bookmark set to my daily reading, another set to where we are reading as a family. I used others at church. Now I can no longer set a useful bookmark for my daily personal or family reading and bookmarks are becoming useless.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
hyegeek
Groupie

Another problem with the new method that I forgot to mention is that after only 4 bookmarks, the bookmark page is so slow to come up that I thought my reader had locked up when I tried to bring it up.

This seems to be because it looks up the text by each saved page to display something useful. While that is nice, being able to quickly (and I want to emphasize quickly) go to a particular bookmark is much much nicer.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While having more than 5 bookmarks could be good, it is not nearly as useful as being able to use a particular bookmark. Also, since I can't find a way to delete a bookmark, over time setting bookmarks will become nearly useless as you have to scroll through pages of them to get where you want.

One of the only times I have been using bookmarks is when I read the Bible. I had one bookmark set to my daily reading, another set to where we are reading as a family. I used others at church. Now I can no longer set a useful bookmark for my daily personal or family reading and bookmarks are becoming useless.
Well you didn't read my post very well as I said how to remove the bookmarks. Here is a step by step.
1. press and hold 6 key for a couple of seconds to bring up the list.
2. use the 0/9 keys to move to the page displaying the bookmark.
3. press and hold the bookmark key (1 to 5) you wish to remove for a couple of seconds.

Dale
Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
3. press and hold the bookmark key (1 to 5) you wish to remove for a couple of seconds.
This did not work the last time I tried it. The only thing that responded on the bookmark page was short presses or returning from the page.

I just tried it again now and I see why I thought it did not work. After a long press, there was about 15 seconds of nothing before it deleted the bookmark. I don't know why everything with bookmarks is so slow, but it really is making them useless.

[EDIT] As I deleted more of them, the speed rapidly improved. The bookmarks simply can't handle more than 3 without slowing down so much they make the reader looked locked up.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

The performance of the bookmarks clearly needs to be improved, but I am glad you finally got it working.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The performance of the bookmarks clearly needs to be improved, but I am glad you finally got it working.
The delete, yes, but they still don't work well enough. If they would simply make the 1-5 shortcuts to the first five bookmarks, they can leave the rest the same and I would not care.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The delete, yes, but they still don't work well enough. If they would simply make the 1-5 shortcuts to the first five bookmarks, they can leave the rest the same and I would not care.
Actually exactly that was what I first proposed to Jinke when I noticed they only supported 5 bookmarks and people were complaining about that. Leave the first 5 alone and add the rest using button 6. Sometimes they can be exasperating.

Last edited by DaleDe; 09-21-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Sometimes they can be exasperating.
Yep, but at least they are also responsive. I have made that suggestion again to astak support, if anyone else agrees with that suggestion, it might help if they also ask for it.