Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
IvarC
IvarC began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
SSH client for terminal access

Hi,

I'm contemplating buying an iLiad for reading my regular newspaper and magazines, but as a side option I'm hoping to use it as a convenient way to check my e-mail while traveling. I'm old-fashioned, and use the console text program Pine (actually Alpine now) for e-mail, so all I need is a way to ssh into our server and open a terminal session (no X or any such thing).

I've found two or three threads on this forum discussing pretty much this idea (dropbear and OpenSSH 5.0p1 have been mentioned). It seems the ssh client part is doable, but most of them mention 'possible' problems with screen refreshing, although nothing definitive is stated. As I don't even have the device yet, I really don't know much about how it's innards work (other than what I've picked up browsing here), so I don't know if there's something obvious that I'm missing.

Does anyone know if screen refreshing would be a problem with a purely text-mode program in an ssh session, or if other issues would arise when trying to make the above scenario work?

Thanks for any info or clarifications.

Ivar
IvarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
You want to use iLiad as a SSH client? I've never had such idea. IIRC, the dropbear are used as a SSH server for SSH client (for example, on PC) to connect SSH server on iLiad. I don't know if there is a ssh client for iLiad. If you have solved this problem, you might want ot use it under mrxvt. Basically, the screen refresh on mrxvt is ok, but sometimes not.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
IvarC
IvarC began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
I suppose that part of my uncertainty comes from never having seen one of these e-paper deviced in action. I know the basic physics of the process, but not the mechanics of the screen redraw process. Is it the case that if a single thing changes on the screen, such as entering a character through some keyboard/keyboard emulation process, then the entire screen must be redrawn (with the 1+ second refresh rate) to reflect that change?

The further question would then be one of triggering--what type of actions do trigger the refresh, and which ones do not?

Thanks,

Ivar
IvarC is offline   Reply With Quote