Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #2416
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Those are the dangerous ones. You need to ask yourself "do these sound more interesting that the books I've already bought and are waiting to be read?"

I fell for one of these in January (Life after Life). It was a mistake.
I've yet to read Life after Life - I hope I'll like it better than you did (and if not, it'll at least fit one of my reading sub-challenges)...

But yes, that is always a question I try to ask myself. I think this time at least one of them did - one of Amazon's this month's Kindle First books, a YA urban fantasy set in Korea, and I'm always interested in finding books in that genre that are not set in the US or UK. So I think I'll probably read it sooner rather than later.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #2417
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Relax, ADE 3.0 is here to solve our problems with lack of self control. Suddenly all those bargains I was a sucker for doesn't seem so bad. A TBR of 200 should carry me over until Son off Alf comes along.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #2418
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Relax, ADE 3.0 is here to solve our problems with lack of self control. Suddenly all those bargains I was a sucker for doesn't seem so bad. A TBR of 200 should carry me over until Son off Alf comes along.
Exactly my thinking, too...only, I have a bigger cushion.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #2419
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
And I am a slower reader so we should probably be finished at the same time.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #2420
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Seven days without an ebook purchase!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #2421
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Seven days and five books for me.

At least two of those were pre-orders (one of which I'm currently reading) and one, today, was a long-wishlisted book that today dropped for the first time (and to $0.99 at that).

One more pre-ordered book to come in February; that still leaves me with four slots that I'll do my best to keep to any wishlist drops and not random buys.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #2422
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
[...] that I'll do my best to keep to any wishlist drops and not random buys.
Exactly what I failed to do in January. I'm going to try to make up for that in February/March.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #2423
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I had a naughty impulse buy myself this morning. I'm also wavering on the bookbale bundle, even though there's not much there for me. It might just about be enough to justify the $10.

I'm almost at my target of buying twice what I read/discard again (13 in, 7 out). It amazes me how I manage to accumulate books even when I'm trying not to. I guess I spend so much time browsing the stores that I'm bound to find irresistible bargains sooner or later. This time I've been looking for award-winners of the Locus Fantasy Award, British Fantasy Society Award and Mythopoeic Award to try to fill some gaps in some challenges. It was Graham Joyce that got me this morning. Quite a lot of his back-catalogue has won BFS awards, but I ended up buying his newest one, last year's Year of the Ladybird, which was unexpectedly cheap. I guess it may yet win one of those awards later this year.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #2424
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
purchased Pure yesterday (similar to hunger games) had a 20% off code for sainsburys would be wrong not to use it
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #2425
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Stay strong! Resist those tempting offers! (Unless they're really good and on your wish list!)

20%? I laugh in the face of a 20% discount. 40% or more is what I want!

(I'm feeling very virtuous. My TBR pile is almost back down to 800, and as I'm not intending to buy ANY more ebooks in February, I expect to have made a significant dent in it by March. Enough so that my currently planned March purchases won't take me back over 800!)

21 days to go.... One day at a time....
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #2426
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
lol well it is only my 2nd purchase of 2014
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #2427
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
lol well it is only my 2nd purchase of 2014
That's pretty good.

I'm only 50 purchases ahead of you…. :embarrassed:
Old 02-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #2428
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Bought 8 books yesterday. I didn't intend to but I took advantage of the sale on some of Angry Robot's books as well as sales on various other books. All told it was about $30.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 AM   #2429
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Bought 8 books yesterday. I didn't intend to but I took advantage of the sale on some of Angry Robot's books as well as sales on various other books. All told it was about $30.
I hope they were all wish-list books? Or did you get a bit carried away, and also buy some books that just looked interesting? It's so easy to do, once the buy button is in front of you!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #2430
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I tried to stay strong, but I discovered that I could get the professional audiobooks for Charles Dickens for really cheap. This is that Whispersync deal where you buy the specially marked Kindle version (often free) and then can get the very reduced price of the Audible version. So, for about $15, got both kindle and audio for Dickens' 5 most well known novels. Yay! I'm not a big fan of classics before 1900, but I've enjoyed Dickens since Junior High.

I did avoid other purchases by reminding myself "Can I read it in 2014?" : Is it part of a series I'm already reading or planning to read?" "Can I get it through Amazon Prime rental? (bro let's me have his kindle for this)".
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote