Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
New to Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G) - couple of Q's

Hi

I got my Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3GUK) for my Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it! (Even more now that I can change screensavers! ). But I have a couple of questions.

1. I am connected to my Wi-Fi network at home, but I wondered if there was any way I can turn off Wi-Fi ONLY (short of "forgetting" the network), and leave 3G turned on?

2. Is there anyway I can see what mobile network the Kindle has actually connected to? Just for curiosities sake?

Thanks

Stew
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
No, you can turn the wifi and 3G both on, or both off. Wifi is preferred, so if you want to try the 3G out, just go outside your wifi range.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
1) No
2) Not sure what you are asking - do you mean - can you tell if you are connected to 3G or WiFi? - If so, look at the top line, it will indicate which is active.

Note that wifi will be used first if possible.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
To see the wifi network, from Home, Press Menu, Select Settings and under Wifi Settings down the page, if shows the name. And for more info, scroll down and select it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle uses the AT&T Cellular Network. I don't believe there is any "roaming" if you are somehow outside their coverage area.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
StuMcBill
Enthusiast

Well I am in the uk so I won't be on At&t, but there must be roaming as it it a worldwide 3G connection.

I was just curious which network it connected to in the uk (o2, orange, vodafone etc)

Thanks for the help though.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
1. I am connected to my Wi-Fi network at home, but I wondered if there was any way I can turn off Wi-Fi ONLY (short of "forgetting" the network), and leave 3G turned on?
No. 3G+WiFi or nothing. Even if you're WiFi, the 3G radio is still actually on.

Quote:
2. Is there anyway I can see what mobile network the Kindle has actually connected to? Just for curiosities sake?
Go to the Settings screen. Hold down Alt and press Y Q Q. You'll see the current network is it connected to. You can see that the 3G radio is on if you try this whilst connected via WiFi.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
I was just curious which network it connected to in the uk (o2, orange, vodafone etc)
B006 Kindles aka "US" Kindle have a AT&T SIM inside.
B00A Kindles aka "Euro" Kindle have a Vodafone SIM inside.

The exact Kindle you get depends on your country and what provider gives you better coverage in that country. You may end up with the US Kindle in some European country if AT&T has a better roaming agreement than Vodafone. Compare the Vodafone Kindle coverage map against the AT&T Kindle coverage map and you'll see some differences in certain countries.

In the UK, both Kindles work equally well and will both be on Vodafone.

Last edited by Tiersten; 01-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
StuMcBill
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
No. 3G+WiFi or nothing. Even if you're WiFi, the 3G radio is still actually on.

Go to the Settings screen. Hold down Alt and press Y Q Q. You'll see the current network is it connected to. You can see that the 3G radio is on if you try this whilst connected via WiFi.
Cool, that's a good shortcut to know.

Any other useful / interesting ones I should know about?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

The old Kindles had physical number buttons on the keyboard which got removed in the K3. The shortcut for typing in a number is to use the top row of letter keys and to hold down Alt.

Alt EQQ is equivalent to 311 which allows you to force it to try to roam to another network. This will only be useful in countries where multiple networks have a roaming agreement for AT&T or Vodafone.
Alt RQQ is equivalent to 411 which shows version numbers and some stats about the Amazon servers.
Alt YQQ is equivalent to 611 which shows the cell network information. It will be blank on a WiFi only Kindle.
Alt UQQ is equivalent to 711 which shows WiFi network information.

Some of these screens have multiple pages so use the page up/down buttons on the side to scroll. They're meant to be used for diagnostics so they're a bit unfinished looking.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
StuMcBill
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The old Kindles had physical number buttons on the keyboard which got removed in the K3. The shortcut for typing in a number is to use the top row of letter keys and to hold down Alt.

Alt EQQ is equivalent to 311 which allows you to force it to try to roam to another network. This will only be useful in countries where multiple networks have a roaming agreement for AT&T or Vodafone.
Alt RQQ is equivalent to 411 which shows version numbers and some stats about the Amazon servers.
Alt YQQ is equivalent to 611 which shows the cell network information. It will be blank on a WiFi only Kindle.
Alt UQQ is equivalent to 711 which shows WiFi network information.

Some of these screens have multiple pages so use the page up/down buttons on the side to scroll. They're meant to be used for diagnostics so they're a bit unfinished looking.
Perfect, thanks for that.

I didn't even realise that alt+top row was a shortcut for the numbers. I wish they had put the numbers above the buttons though.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
I didn't even realise that alt+top row was a shortcut for the numbers. I wish they had put the numbers above the buttons though.
Yeah. I can live without the physical number buttons but it would be nice to have some silkscreening on the case itself for quick reference.