Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
et1976
et1976 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is 505 better than 600 for any reason other than the screen?

Contemplating a second hand 505 as my first reader to save a bit of money - may upgrade in a year or so if I get on with it. However, it's not much cheaper than the 600, and I can't find any reasons why people seem to prefer the 505 over the 600 other than those who don't like the 600 screen.

Am going to try the 300 vs the 600 in store at the weekend to see how they compare, and if I still like the 600 screen I think I will get that, unless I have missed something else which makes the 505 'better'?
et1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Well, people who are really picky about screen quality wouldn't choose a PRS-505 either.

However, as far as I can tell, the 600 is a pretty thoroughly superior device. I'd say go for it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Well, people who are really picky about screen quality wouldn't choose a PRS-505 either.

However, as far as I can tell, the 600 is a pretty thoroughly superior device. I'd say go for it.
Yikes. Did I made the mistake of purchasing a Sony PRS-505 instead of the 600? =/
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcandy View Post
Yikes. Did I made the mistake of purchasing a Sony PRS-505 instead of the 600? =/
Not at all. Some people want a crisp, clear screen to read books and don't need the additional features like dictionary, note taking, highlighting. The 600 has many more options but not everyone is looking that those. If you want to just read the 505 is a great device.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The PRS-600 has 5 font sizes, a single page PDF zoom mode, built-in dictionary, search and note taking. It also has a faster processor, although this may not make much difference in practice.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
At present, there aren't any really good choices. The 505 has a marginally better screen that still isn't good enough for the snobs among us. The 600's functionality is better overall, but that's not saying a whole lot. Annotation and stuff is still pretty much a joke. However, it's there, which is something the 505 can't boast.

Ebook readers currently don't do anything extremely well, and that includes displaying novels. There are no options for excellence yet...just various tradeoffs for features that are all pretty mediocre. For most ebook device fans though, existence is justification enough, regardless of performance.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
The main reason I went for the 600 was it's touchscreen and consequential note-taking capability. If you do not need that and can put up with the alleged slightly slower loading of the 505, I'd say the 505 is as well a choice as any - better than most in fact, screenwize, or so I am told.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have a 505 and like it. However if I was going to buy a new device I would buy the 600 in a heart beat. The 600 has so many more features. The only downside is the acerb is not as crisp, but from the display models it is negligible. The only advantage the 505 has is the light wedge accessory you can buy
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote