Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Gaspode
Gaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, iPhone
Which format ebook should I buy for my PRS-505?

I managed to pick up a PRS-505 second hand from another forum member. It arrived today and I love it.

I am reading a pbook "Simple Genius" by David Baldacci (about 100 pages in) and I want to buy it as an ebook to read on my new toy.

The problem is, I don't know which format to buy it in. I found the book on Fictionwise but the available formats for this book are "Secure eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader/Adobe" I'm not sure which format I should buy. Can anyone offer some advice?
Gaspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to buy it in Adobe format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Gaspode
Gaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

I can't buy it.

Hmmm. My first attempt to buy an ebook failed miserably. The book has geographical limitations according to Fictionwise so I can't buy it with a NZ credit card.

Do I need to move to the USA in order to read current fiction on my new toy?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Gaspode

Happy happy joy joy!

Yeeehaarrr! I managed to buy the book from www.booksonboard.com in Adobe Digital Editions format and I am now reading it on my PRS-505.

Happy happy.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The FW "geographical restrictions" are childishly simply to avoid. Simply set your country to USA and pay by some method OTHER than with a credit card - eg by PayPal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hey Gaspode. Congrats on your new toy.

BTW, I did the same thing as you. I was about a third of the way through the paperback 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown when I got my 505. And I just couldn't finish it with my new toy at hand, so i bought the eBook version and haven't looked back since.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Gaspode -

Adobe is the simplest, fastest choice. But since you are in New Zealand and not subject to U.S laws on DRM, and if you are technically savvy, there are other alternatives if you really want to pursue them.

It is possible to buy the books in Mobipocket or Ereader and to strip the DRM from them, and then to use Calibre to convert them to LRF format for the Sony Reader. I am not advocating piracy here - I am just pointing out that if you want to remove DRM from purchased books for your own personal use, that is a technical possibility for you.

If the Mobileread moderators think that I have gone too far here, and need to delete my response because of legal concerns, I understand. I'm not trying to cause trouble :-) and will not provide any instructions on exactly how the DRM can be stripped.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote