Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Anything that can replace an iRiver Story HD?

After some 28 months of blissful use, my screen broke this morning. (sob!)
They don't make them anymore, so I'd have to find a secondhand one.
But has the technology advanced any since then?

Must have:
- PDF, djvu, and a reflowable format (probably epub)
- At least 768x1024 resolution
- SD card slot
- Folder view (real hierarchical directory tree)

Must not have:
- Amazon

Would be nice:
- Physical keyboard
- Faster page changes than the Story HD

Does anybody know of anything, or am I just looking for another Story HD?
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
andi1235
andi1235 began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can still get them new through Amazon (they say there are 7 left in stock.) So if you're not opposed to PURCHASING through Amazon you can just buy a replacement.

amazon. com/ iRiver-Story-Digital-Reader-Version/ dp/ B0053QC0EU

(sorry about the link)
andi1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Yeah, my wife surprised me with a new one yesterday.
But why has nothing better been made in the last 2 years?
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
Yeah, my wife surprised me with a new one yesterday.
But why has nothing better been made in the last 2 years?
I think better might be a matter of perspective. Several devices (Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight, Kobo Aura HD) have screens that match or even exceed the Iriver Story HD's. Keyboards and buttons have been replaced by touch screens and many seem to prefer them and most people don't know enough or care enough about format support or expandable storage.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote