Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #16
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Copying books which are part of collections shouldn't be a problem, but deleting them will probably make the Reader veeeeery unhappy. That might be hard to fix.
Actually, I think that the reader will cope happily enough with having books in collections being deleted out from under it, although I've only recall having done that via direct access to the internal memory via USB device, not via the file manager.

I suspect that trying to insert a book into a collection when copying it, however, isn't going to be practical, just in case that's what anyone's hoping for...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did test out deleting a book when the 505 was connected to the computer and the book was part of a collection. It borked the collection when I just plain deleted the book.

Now can this be fixed so collections do work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh err - you're right... I just re-tried it (i.e. just deleting via USB, leaving aside the app here) & the reader didn't do what I thought it did, which was to tidy up the removed book properly. It does remove the 'book' entry from the media.xml file, but it doesn't scan the collections in the same file and remove the entry that linked to it from them...

> can this be fixed ...

While it's llasram who's been doing the 'heavy lifting', not me, I'd doubt it. While the functionality is going to exist on the reader, I'm not sure if it's going to be able to find out how to access it from outside Sony (or whoever they got to actually code the 'OS') for them.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So basically this code is well useless to me as I do use collections to organize my content. It's just like the original delete hack for the 500 that didn't also work with collections.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
gwynevans
Wizzard

Well, strictly, it's the 505's USB device functionality that's making it useless to you, not the code here - this code might be one method to delete a book, but the issue you refer to also appears when just deleting the book via the USB device.

That also assumes that you need to delete books off your device before copying new ones on, whereas this allows you to carry literally GBs of books (if you can find that many!) to select & copy onto the reader without needing access to a PC.

By the way, have you gone through all the posts in the forums that refer to using the USB device and added the "Moderator: WARNING! Does not wotk with books you have in a collection" note to them too? Hamlet (Quote Act III, Sc. II) might apply...

Last edited by gwynevans; 03-28-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 AM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does this still work with the firmware upgrade? Is it still needed as the firmware upgrade includes file deletion support?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #22
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Does this still work with the firmware upgrade?
Looks like it needs a touch-up: performing any actions which actually modify the set of available files causes causes the Reader to crash and reboot when exiting BookSwap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Is it still needed as the firmware upgrade includes file deletion support?
The main reason I wrote this was to let people swap books (hence the name) with just Readers and an SD card.

Since I need to touch this up anyway I may implement that full file-management functionality I promised back in March.

-Marshall
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #23
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Since I need to touch this up anyway I may implement that full file-management functionality I promised back in March.
Where's the "happy dance" icon? Ah...

acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #24
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Can you make this hack work after having used the Universal flasher? Can it be added to Jeff Elkins' program? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27177

I don't really need them together, but I am trying to be the bridge between this forum and another one in Spain and that will make my translating/explaining work easier...

By the way, I added a link to the Hacking Conclusions and Guide thread.

OK. I answer myself. This is an autorun application, not a hack. I gather it doesn't work with the upgraded FW? If that is right, will it?

Last edited by Peto; 08-04-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:09 AM   #25
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
I'm late to this thread, but I'm happy to have found it.

If I'll be able to run it, my main use would be to transfer books from a card to the main memory (since I read a lot about slow access and battery draining when using the card).

My questions, which the thread did not clarify completely:

1) for this kind of usage, the hack works under the new firmware?

2) I did not understand completely the "collections" issue, but with the new firmware we can delete a book from the Reader. So this is not a problem anymore, right?

thanks for any info!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
Cutter74
Cutter74 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
found your thread and would love this file exchange setting do we have a release date for the updated version you are working on Marshall
Cutter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Can you make this hack work after having used the Universal flasher? Can it be added to Jeff Elkins' program? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27177
I suggest that any hacks in PRSCustomizer work fully. This Bookswap hack doesn't work with books in collections. So I would not want to see it added in. I can see someone accidentally using it to swap something and then ending up maybe bricking the reader till you got it home to sort it out.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #28
gwynevans
Wizzard

Leaving aside the issue Jon has with this, it's not a firmware hack but rather a stand-alone app designed to run when a card is inserted, so nothing to do with PRSCustomizer, which relates to changing firmware.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #29
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Great guys!
Keep the ideas and proggies coming ^_^
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote