Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Laptop Choices

Not really about ereading, but since technical knowledge and advice on them has always been pretty good on those, I figured I'd throw this out there.

Time for a new laptop.

Narrowed down my choices based on my budget and moderate technical understanding, but need some advise on final selection. Mostly comes down to the limits of my hardware knowledge and brand experience.

Looking at a Samsung w/ AMD E2-1800 @1.7Ghz
& a Lenovo w/ Pentium B980 @2.4Ghz

Using for writing (OpenOffice), internet, ebook management (of course), iTunes, maybe some mindless Lego games. Will be running Windows 8 (what the hell).

Prices are the same and most specs are comparable, but this is the main one I don't understand. Also, never used either brand, so how is the quality/support on that end?

Opinions?
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have bought 3 Lenovo laptops. First I5 had to go back. Crashed repeatedly. Second I 5 battery died within 6 weeks, internal battery works sometimes and then seems dead. Keyboard is not working but I did spill something on it.
Third B940 I think is my mothers and has to be retored every month or so.

Maybe I got unlucky. I am going to send I 5 in for repair soon, so hoping support is good

Other than that they are nice, and maybe I am just unlucky with Lenovo. But if you do get one use it a lot while it is returnable, just in case.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm partial to Dell myself. I currently have a Dell desktop and three Dell laptops, all in everyday use. Never had a problem with any of them. They're not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I'm partial to Toshiba Sattelite
My first was a 386 8M RAM TFT display, W95(A) (It failed a 'drop test' in 2003' )
My second had a 1.8MHz Celeron 640M RAM (later upgraded to 1G: (hand me-down RAM )) With XP Pro (USB now flakes out after a while)
My latest is an AMD, 3G RAM W7 HP

Hard choice; Dell or Toshiba ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dell isn't on the list this time.

Toshiba is my #3, but it only has an AMD E1-1200/1.4Ghz. (RAM on all these is a decent 4GB expandable to various capacities.)
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For the uses you describe, CPU is probably not too critical. I use mine for a lot of video processing, a task which tends to take full advantage of any CPU you can throw at it, but your needs seem pretty modest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
RHWright
Addict

Yep, no real heavy video or image editing.

Down the road, may get back into some desktop publishing type stuff again, particularly learning how to take what I already know there and updating to producing ebooks. Probably will start that on the laptop and upgrade my desktop when it starts to get really serious.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I always steer clear of lenovo due to hearing about issues, the only samsung (Win PC that is) I've had was a netbook that churned along quite happily for a few years - Including numerous "drop-tests" and "stolen-by-dog-tests" - eventually it failed the "thrown from the top of the stairs by dog-test" and I replaced it with an overspecced sony (great netbook) and a secure storage cupboard.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm well into my second year with this HP EliteBook 8460p. I've upped the RAM to 8GB, then to 16GB. Replaced the HD with an SSD. And use it in my office with 2 monitors. But on the road, all by itself. I really like this laptop, it has everything I need, even a smart-card reader and a TPM chip. It's light enough to live with on the road, but powerful enough to be my main workstation in the office. It's well-built, looks good, and just works. I figure its good for at least another year before I feel compelled to upgrade.

This is my third HP laptop, and I've never regretted the purchase.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I'm another Toshiba fan. I use mine mainly for games and it just flies through everything I play.

Toshiba makes hundreds of models and refreshes its laptop line frequently - you can probably find one with better specs to fit your budget.

Last edited by JoHunt; 11-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why is it that everyone seems to want a laptop. I worry that desktop computers might become a thing of the past. We all have a laptop regardless of our needs to actually move around with it. I'm sure many just keep it at home on their desk so the "portable" specificity isn't used.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Why is it that everyone seems to want a laptop. I worry that desktop computers might become a thing of the past. We all have a laptop regardless of our needs to actually move around with it. I'm sure many just keep it at home on their desk so the "portable" specificity isn't used.
I have a latop and two desktops. ;D

My laptop is rather portable, maybe I should have gone for even lighter model. (1,45kg, with smaller screen and less features could have cut 200-300 grams from that)

Now on Asus, my previous one was Lenovo which I don't have anything bad to say.

Still, for Lenovo if you want quality you must pay. The cheap laptops aren't very good from any manufacturer.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
This is a good place for anecdotes. My HP laptop is awaiting a fan replacement after having the track pad replaced twice inder warranty. My Acer had a disk and keyboard repaired under warranty. My Dell had a system board replaced (merlot). We have a problemless acer as1410. I'm pretty happy with all of theses except that hp -- the most expensive laptop I've ever owned. I would say that a $300 acer has more in common with a $300 lenovo than the $300 lenovo has with a $1000 lenovo.

Here are some reliability ratings for 2012...

Always like to bounce the anecdotes off the data.

If I were buying a laptop right now, I'd probably get a trinity just because it will run games better (esp OpenGL) and the prices are good. Drop into Staples Friday and grab this for $400...

Item: 100375
Model: B5Z58UA#ABA

HP Pavilion g7-2243us offers way more than just fun and games!
The HP Pavilion g7 gives you everything you need to keep in touch, get it done, and have some fun, all in a distinctive design.
•Next Gen AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated 1.9GHz up to 2.8GHz 4MB L2 Cache Processor
•6GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory
•500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)
•Windows 8

if you are looking for a 'protable desktop' or this for light/portable computing ($300)...

Item: 100374
Model: C6N76UA#ABA

HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14 is perfect for everyday everything!
Meet the everyday notebook that’s anything but ordinary. Get exclusive innovations like HP CoolSense to keep you comfortable and HP ProtectSmart which helps keep your data safe from bumps. Enjoy long battery life or swap it out to keep playing without recharging. At less than an inch thin and under four pounds, the HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14 is perfect for life on the go.
•Intel® Pentium® B987 1.5GHz 2MB L3 Cache Processor
•4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory, Expandable to 8GB
•320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•14.0-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
•Windows 8

If you are looking for something really fun, turn the page in the flyer and grab the $700 12.5" touch screen, twist display Lenovo (rated second only to Apple for reliability)...

Item: 985048
Model: 33474HU

Designed for the future, the Lenovo ThinkPad Twist is a versatile, high performance touch-enabled ultrabook, which can be used as a tablet, laptop or media presenter.
The Lenovo S230U Ultrabook is a Staples Windows 8 Select PC representing the best in design, mobility and performance. The innovative 4-in-1 convertible Ultrabook can be used in notebook or tablet mode for maximum productivity and can easily flip to a convenient stand or tent mode for watching movies, reading, browsing and more.
•3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5 – 3317U 1.7 GHz 3MB L3 Cache Processor; Enjoy an automatic burst of speed when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
•4GB 1600MHz DDR3
•500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
•12.5" HD IPS Display with Touch Sensor
•Windows® 8

Last edited by wizwor; 11-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
My new Toshiba has a 17" screen, Number pad (still has the odd Laptop key placements), has VGA and HDMI out.

It is billed as a Desktop replacement. With a Powered USB Hub, it holds its own against any of my P4 towers (except for supporting some specialty PCI cards)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I've always had Toshiba laptops and loved them. Real work horses and reliable. My current Satellite is gasping, though, so I just ordered a BF deal from Newegg. An Asus. My computing needs are simple these days, so I opted for a no-frills model at a great price.

(I'll always love my Toshibas, though -- dead or alive )
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote