Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Angry Battery Woes, and flaky tech support

I'm failing to get anywhere with my Aura One, as it's been pretty unreliable in regards to power over the last few months.

Firstly: The Kobo charges fine, it syncs, everything is working as it should. Got the latest firmware (4.18.13737) and had a restart. Charged it up, left it a day, went to read the next night and the battery is reporting 18% left.

Then: Disabled wifi, sync, charged it up, left it overnight again (around 10-11 hours) and I've got 60% battery left.

Frustrated, I contacted Kobo.

(09:42:42 AM) SUPPORT: Thank you for the information. I will be more than happy to assist you.
(09:42:56 AM) SUPPORT: Please synchronize your account
(09:43:04 AM) SUPPORT: Do you know how?
(09:43:14 AM) Richard: On my reader? Yes. One moment.
(09:43:37 AM) SUPPORT: In the meantime, I'll explain
(09:44:17 AM) SUPPORT: By syncing your account, you are downloading a small update
(09:44:33 AM) SUPPORT: It improves your communication with our server
(09:44:47 AM) SUPPORT: This was made by our team to solve your problem
(09:45:08 AM) SUPPORT: If it does not solve your issue in two days, please contact us again
(09:45:17 AM) SUPPORT: We will provide all the assistance you need
(09:45:45 AM) Richard: Right.
(09:46:36 AM) SUPPORT: Can I assist you with anything else?
(09:46:52 AM) Richard: No. I'll keep an eye on the battery now.
(09:47:04 AM) SUPPORT: Charge it for at least 3 hours
(09:47:22 AM) Richard: Okay.

So, I've synced with their "special patch", left it on charge all day whilst I'm working. 24 hours later the battery is at 10%. I was dubious about this (hence my one-word answers at the end of the chat log), and my suspicions were confirmed.

So it's on charge again, and I'm simply not trusting the device right now. I'll be in touch with Kobo again, but to be perfectly honest, what can they do with a reader that's out of warranty and not made any more?

Is anyone else having this issue? I'd just like my reader to last a week on standby at least. My PRS-505's can go almost a couple of months without needing a charge. Granted they don't have wifi, but they are using near-12 year old eink tech.
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The KA1 will occasionally and inexplicably discharge all the way. Usually recharging it will put it back like it should be. Whether this is caused by a problematic ebook or something else is unknown.

Hopefully, yours will get back to stability, especially if you leave the WiFi off.

Last edited by petercreasey; 10-26-2019 at 09:45 AM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@rickrock: Two questions:

- Did the device restart after the sync?
- What is the firmware version now?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, kobo a1, tech support