Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
how to run Calibre unattended despite errors

I'm a developer but new to Calbre

I use Calibre to push news feeds to my Kindle. Works nice, and I'd like to just leave Calibre running all the time, to keep them updated - and I'm away from this PC during the day. But anytime Calibre hits an error with the feed or email, it puts up a message box which seems to block, and nothing more gets pushed until I visit the PC and click an Ok button on a dialog.

Also, I'd like to have the PC sleep at night and wake automatically in the morning. But Calibre always hits an error on its first attempt after the wakeup ("no internet connection is available"). I've tried using a .bat to pinging some servers after waking up, and verify that the connection is up, before launching Calibre, but Calibre still fails on the first attempt and sits there until I clear that message. I haven't been able to solve this.

Ideally I'd like Calibre to just keep trying these feeds and not bother with blocking message boxes in the event of errors. Is this possible somehow, or am I missing another way to accomplish this?

Last edited by jimh12345; 07-30-2011 at 10:20 AM.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate forum- please read the sticky before posting in the development section.

You could just use the CLI tools together with your OS'es scheduling facilities to do what you want. Use ebook-convert to fetch recipes and calibre-smtp to send the results. If you want to add them to the library, use calibredb. There's documentation available.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Enable the calibre system tray icon in preferences and minimize to system tray, then the error messages will not block.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Enable the calibre system tray icon in preferences and minimize to system tray, then the error messages will not block.

Woo hoo! Thanks!
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote