Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
loltun
Jedi Book Worm
loltun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, RCA REB-1100, Augen The Book
Sluggish and freezing DX - Is there a limit to number of items or collections?

I have about 3000 items in my kindle DX which includes about 300 collections.
My Kindle has become sluggish and even freezes at random times.
Sometimes when browsing through the list of books or when highlighting or looking up something in the dictionary.
I am guessing that maybe I have exceeded a limit of the Kindle but I can not find any information about that.
loltun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
My Kindle has become sluggish and even freezes at random times.
Actually, I'd be rather amazed if it didn't have some performance issues.

Quote:
I am guessing that maybe I have exceeded a limit of the Kindle but I can not find any information about that.
It's the "Fill a device up and it won't run nearly as well as it did empty" rule.
I'm sure if you did a factory reset and started over with a more reasonable sized library, it would return to working normally. Just because you can put 3000 items on the Kindle does not mean it's a good idea to do so.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by loltun View Post
How do you handle such a big number of books? The kindle is an E-Reader, not a library.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Dean Gibson
Retired
Dean Gibson began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Touch (2), B&N Nook 1stEd/3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili View Post
How do you handle such a big number of books? The kindle is an E-Reader, not a library.
I have both the Kindle DX and the Nook Color. I have 30,000 PDF documents on the Nook Color, with no change in performance. I tried 2500 on the Kindle, and saw the same problems as reported above.

My guess is that when "Collections" were added, it was tested with just a few documents, and then released. Note to Amazon: people don't create collections in order to only put five books in each one!!!

In other words, whoever designed the "Collections" feature, didn't test it for scalability. Like using a bubble sort ...

Yes, people tend to use computers in ways not thought of by the developers ...

The seven last words of a developer: "Why would you want to do that?"

And yes, I was a software developer for over 40 years, and I saw a lot of this in my career ...
Dean Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Dean has spoken well. If we have memory for 3000 books then software must be able to support that. Otherwise, it makes no sense. It's like, I can put 20 gallons in my car but it won't go if I put more than 5. No sense at all.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dean has spoken well. If we have memory for 3000 books then software must be able to support that.
3000 huge books? 3000 medium-sized books? Or 3000 tiny books?
There's too many variables to be speaking in such absolutes. Put as many books on it as you want, but when it starts acting weird... start removing some. Unless you like non-functional eReaders.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
If I come to your home and make you a shelf for 300 books and tell you "but you can't put more than 5 on it", would you pay me?
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm bored with this discussion.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Dean Gibson
Retired
Dean Gibson began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Touch (2), B&N Nook 1stEd/3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
3000 huge books? 3000 medium-sized books? Or 3000 tiny books?
There's too many variables to be speaking in such absolutes. Put as many books on it as you want, but when it starts acting weird... start removing some. Unless you like non-functional eReaders.
Well, Amazon says the Kindle will hold 3500 books, and so it's not unreasonable (after paying ~$400) to expect that it will also perform adequately with 3000 books (assuming they are small enough to all fit).

In my case, the 2500 files are all small, one-page PDFs. This is not a size limitation; they fit on the Kindle easily (I can get 15,000 onto the DX). It's a COUNT limitation. I've spent several solid days trying to get around the MULTIPLE deficiencies (in my mind) of the Kindle software, to allow me to locate and display them in some sort of organized fashion. So far, the only method that still holds some promise is to combine the PDF files by airport (which reduces the number of files by a factor of five). That's not as convenient as just accessing the desired one quickly.

The PDF files are aviation charts, and removing some just doesn't fit into why I bought the Kindle, which is to hold one whole FAA release cycle of 15,000 charts. My Nook Color can hold, reference, and display 30,000 of them with ease (as can my 2-year-old Motorola Droid phone -- alas, the display is a bit small).

Note that this is just one use case. There are a number of people who are buying Kindles to hold a variety of reference materials, and a Kindle seems like an ideal choice. Certainly all the tablets (and many smartphones) can handle this task ...

Last edited by Dean Gibson; 04-21-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Dean Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the one time I had some "sluggish" issues was with my first K1. I had an "alternately acquired" book on it that was mucking up the works.

just sayin'
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

I still have over 1gb free so space is not the problem.
I have tried resetting the kindle and letting it index everything again.
It seems that Dean is correct in his assumption that the problem has something to do with collections.
I have only recently started trying to organize my documents by collections since the kindle can not organize by author and title without doing so.
I have my documents sorted by title and have renamed all of my collections with an "* " prefix so that they appear first in the list of titles.
I have found that after resetting the kindle, the first time that I try browsing through the titles, it takes up to 10 seconds to load each page of collections.
However, after the last page of collections when it begins paging through the titles it only takes about one second to turn each page.
After browsing through all of the titles once and returning home I can browse through the collections at about one second per page.
I have gone through this procedure about three times and it seems to help but I still get a complete freeze or other strange things happening from time to time.
I would gladly get rid of the collections if someone could figure out another way to make the kindle sort by author and title like it is supposed to be in a library.
But if you sort by author it just jumbles up all of the titles written by the same author in some crazy random order.
It makes me wonder if any of the kindle developers have ever set foot in a library before.

Last edited by loltun; 04-22-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I would gladly get rid of the collections if someone could figure out another way to make the kindle sort by author and title like it is supposed to be in a library.
Visit the calibre forum for another approach to organizing your books - and also read this wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...bre_Plugboards
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
loltun
Jedi Book Worm

I just want the kindle to sort alphabetically by author and then within each author sort the titles alphabetically.

Thanks for the suggestion about the plugboards poohbear.
I could see how that might help with a small book series but I am not going to number over 3000 documents alphabetically by author and title and then have to go back and renumber them every time I add a new document.

This is something that kindle should automatically do on the fly.
It is ridiculous that it does not sort the author's titles alphabetically.