Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #61
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
About time we have Kindle library books. I've never been that happy with the OD app. (Too bad there aren't that many library books that I care to check out.)
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I have a very good local library consortium available to me, and I'd love to see an option for Kindle book lending from them.
Is your library consortium wealthy? If not, how would suggest they spend their limited budget for ebooks? How many Kindle titles should they buy? How many EPUB? And how do they buy the same number of EPUB titles as they do now and also buy an equal number in Kindle titles without increasing their budget, increasing wait times, and decreasing other ebook expenditures?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #63
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I'm surprised people are arguing against library books for Kindle. This is a repeatedly requested feature, and people are constantly assuming it'll work for kindle and then being surprised when it doesn't.

Honestly, I think that a library that has the choice of purchasing library books for, say, Sony readers and the Kindle will probably choose the Kindle because Kindles are so well known and there's so many of them out there compared to the Nook, the Sony readers, and so on. As a Kindle owner, I'm glad to see this coming -- I buy books fairly often, download freebies in genres I'm interested in, and would also love to be able to check out books from my local library (which I still do check out print books from).

I have a very good local library consortium available to me, and I'd love to see an option for Kindle book lending from them.
let's be clear here, "people" are not arguing against the kindle library project, a sony fanboi is having a tantrum, and there is a fretting tubesock hanging out somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Is your library consortium wealthy? If not, how would suggest they spend their limited budget for ebooks? How many Kindle titles should they buy? How many EPUB? And how do they buy the same number of EPUB titles as they do now and also buy an equal number in Kindle titles without increasing their budget, increasing wait times, and decreasing other ebook expenditures?
just WAIT until the fine print is announced. you're beginning to look like a Penguin
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #64
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Well, to put it a little more logically, I think us Sony (and other epub reader) people are ticked at Amazon for getting into this game so late. They COULD have started with library books, and AZW would most likely have become the dominant format. And then our readers would have been developed to read that format. But instead, they waited until there was some serious competition, meaning investment by both readers and libraries, in the epub format, and THEN decide to allow library lending. Thus re-igniting the format war.

Mostly, we're miffed that we bought our readers specifically because they allow us to check out library books, and now Kindle is going to make it more difficult for us by either spreading the library budgets out to buy both formats, or leaving us in the dust with our epub readers.

Gotta hand it to them, it's a brilliant business strategy, as are all of their strategies. Not allowing library books was a great decision at the time, and now that it's costing them some sales, they change their policy.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #65
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have no idea about the timeline. I do know that Sony, Nook, and Kobo all chose EPub after the Kindle was in development (Sony) or released (Nook and Kobo).

I have no idea why Overdrive initially decided to use only EPub books. They were using Mobipocket books for a while but they switched purely to EPub at some point in time.

I do know that Overdrive is its own business and made its own decision to use only EPub. None of us are privy to the reasons behind that decision. It could be that Amazon was being unreasonable. It could be many other possibilities, like EPub is more commonly used outside of the US then the Amazon format.

Whatever it is, Amazon is finally going to have presence at the library and that is great news for the millions of Kindle owners in the US.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #66
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, they stopped using mobipocket because Amazon bought the rights to it, and then made it difficult, if not impossible, for other systems to use it. Otherwise, we would all have mobi readers, and everyone would be happy. (That is, except for Amazon, and since they get to make all the rules, they win).
Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #67
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I agree. In fact, I think libraries should treat Amazon the same way they're treating HarperCollins over the 26 checkout cap.

Library budgets are severely strained and they shouldn't be bullied into additional purchases by a new player to the game. If Amazon wants in, they should be required to use the existing formats. If not, the libraries should stand firm and tell Amazon to take a hike.
I have new found respect for you, tubemonkey.

Too many people here think whatever is good for them and Amazon is good, period. Screw everybody else. They'll get the monopoly they deserve.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
just WAIT until the fine print is announced. you're beginning to look like a Penguin
This is all speculation on what was announced and the various ways it could play out. If we're supposed to wait for full details, then announcements on this board should be locked after the opening post.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #69
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know you thin Amazon can do no wrong, but here is a clear case of doing wrong.
And you think they can do no right, and it seems you might be wrong.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #70
Serena
Zealot

Right, because Amazon is making this decision out of the goodness of their hearts...

Want to know why the epub readers can't also read mobi books??? Ask Amazon.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #71
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

According to Library Journal (http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...nding.html.csp) library's won't need to purchase additional ebooks - ebooks they already own will be available for kindle download.

Quote:
The lending will be available for all generations of the Kindle as well as Kindle reading apps, and it will integrate with all the existing ebook catalogs in the United States powered by OverDrive. In other words, the libraries-including schools, colleges and public libraries-will not have to add a new format, and the ebooks now available on the OverDrive sites will be immediately integrated with the Kindle, Dan Stasiewski, a marketing associate with OverDrive, told LJ.

"There will be no additional cost to acquire new files to make them compatible," David Burleigh, OverDrive's director of marketing, told LJ.
I guess it is not going to hurt the libraries budget.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #72
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The fine print:
http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...nding.html.csp
Quote:
The lending will be available for all generations of the Kindle as well as Kindle reading apps, and it will integrate with all the existing ebook catalogs in the United States powered by OverDrive. In other words, the libraries—including schools, colleges and public libraries—will not have to add a new format, and the ebooks now available on the OverDrive sites will be immediately integrated with the Kindle, Dan Stasiewski, a marketing associate with OverDrive, told LJ.

"There will be no additional cost to acquire new files to make them compatible," David Burleigh, OverDrive's director of marketing, told LJ. He referred questions on whether this deal was exclusive to OverDrive to Amazon.
So it won't cost the libraries more.
They won't have to split their buying choices between two different formats.
It will be available for Kindle apps as well as Kindle devices.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
LEARN how to use the language before you become critical. from dictionary.com;

u·nique   
[yoo-neek] Show IPA
–adjective
existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to australia.
limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.
–noun

the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given kind: The unique is also the improbable.

I'd like to draw your attention to entry number 5 in case you missed it

especially if we can shut the Sony Troll up

I think it is entirely possible they have something up their sleeve given the recent sale price of the DX

Quote:
With Kindle Library Lending, customers can take advantage of all of the unique features of Kindle and Kindle books, including:

Paper-like Pearl electronic-ink display
No glare even in bright sunlight
Those two features of the Kindle are NOT unique to the Kindle. Sony has the Pearl screen and all readers with Vizplex or Pearl have the same no glare. So they are outright lies saying that they are unique to the Kindle. They are not unique to the Kindle. Others have these very same two features.

And you are using the term troll incorrectly BTW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The fine print:
http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...nding.html.csp

So it won't cost the libraries more.
They won't have to split their buying choices between two different formats.
It will be available for Kindle apps as well as Kindle devices.
But it will make the lines at the eBook counter a heck of a lot longer. And my question is, will there be a Kindle app for iOS devices after June?

It seems that Amazon (my guess) will be the ones supplying the eBooks so when an eBook is borrowed from the library as a Kindle eBook, Amazon will be lending it, not Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #75
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

No idea. I would suspect that the initial surge is going to cause longer lines and that Overdrive will figure out how to deal with the surge.