Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pocketbook 360 boots twice?

I have all the books on my Pocketbook 360 on a memory card, rather than in main memory, and I've noticed that the machine appears to boot twice before I can use it. What happens is this:

1. I switch the machine on, get the initial logo screen and then the main menu screen. The "most recently read" area at the top of the page is blank.

2. I press any key. The machine then appears to reboot - I see the logo screen again, and then the main menu again. Now my books are listed at the top of the screen and all the functions work normally.

This is absolutely reproducible, and happens every time I turn the machine on. It's not a problem, but I was just wondering if it's the "normal" behaviour?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not a problem, but I was just wondering if it's the "normal" behaviour?
I wrote in my review, that boot of my machine with the card and also without, regardless of number of books that are on card and in memory is 21 seconds.
How long does your "double" boot takes?
Have you tried to put a few books to the main memory so see if if this happens only if there are files ONLY on card and no files in memory?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've done some more experiments, and it's related to whether or not the memory card is there. If there's no memory card, it boots normally (in 15s). If there is a memory card, I get the initial 15s boot (with the books on the memory card not showing), then pressing any key gives a further 10s reboot, and it then comes back with the card contents showing.

Absolutely no problem, but perhaps something to pass on to the developers as a "quirk"? I'm using a 16GB class 2 Sandisk microSDHC card, if that's of any relevance.

Putting books in internal memory makes no difference (except that they show up on the "initial boot".
Old 12-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Do you have another SD card handy to try?
I use an 8Gb Sandisk card and don't get any oddities at boot.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There must be some problem. I have just tested with a memory card with some 700 files in numerous directories.
My unit only boots once.
Some 12 seconds to the library, regardless of presence or the card. Even when the last opened file was on the card.

I have:
1. Already more than a 100 files in various directories on the device.
2. I have inserted a card with 700 files in various directories. There is only one directory and one file at the root of the card.
3. I have opened a file from the card
4. I closed the file and went to the main menu.
5. I have switched off the device.
6. I press the on button. The device boots in some 11 seconds after releasing the on button (that I kept pressed for less than two seconds). VERY IMPRESSIVE.
7. the device boots into main menu.
8. I press button down, button up, I go to the library, everything works immediately.

Second test.
Points 1-7 are identical,
8. I press up twice to get to the last read book (no delay here)
9. I press OK to open the book. There is a delay, but it seems to be the same as when I open a file from memory.

Try formatting the card
Try different card
Try deleting cache and similar files from /system folder on the device. Be careful, make a backup first in case you delete something important.
Try flashing the newest firmware (this is what I have, plus FBReader compiled by SciFiFan)

I use 1GB ordinary, cheap, relatively old MicroSD card.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'll try with a different card just to see. As I say, it's not an problem in the slightest; I was just interested to know whether or not it was the normal behaviour.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just tried it with an old 1GB card I had in my phone. Works absolutely fine. I suspect that it may perhaps be that, with my 16GB card being both large and (since it's only a class 2 card) relatively slow, that it's not initialising quickly enough for the Pocketbook to be able to recognise it on the initial boot. No big deal.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I tried once to use PB with 16 Gig SD card it worked just fine for me - could it be that the different card makes work differently?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Harry, I think the problem may be the relative slowness of your card. Try a faster one, please, and report back!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Harry, I think the problem may be the relative slowness of your card. Try a faster one, please, and report back!
Already tried it in post #7 above. With a 1GB card it boots normally, so it's obviously something to do with my specific card. It's not a problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Hey, HarryT!
I have the same problem! Feels good not to be the only one. It's also good news to know that this doesn't happen with other cards.
Mine is a SanDisk 2 GB, by the way... what am I going to do with it?
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
In case it is useful info for anyone who might be looking to buy a micro SD card for their PocketBook ...

I use a bytestor 2 GB class 4 card and it boots up to the main menu in 11 seconds with the card inserted, no problems. As opposed to a 9 second boot up minus the card.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
In case it is useful info for anyone who might be looking to buy a micro SD card for their PocketBook ...

I use a bytestor 2 GB class 4 card and it boots up to the main menu in 11 seconds with the card inserted, no problems. As opposed to a 9 second boot up minus the card.
My class 4 4 gb card takes about 20 sec, but I have around 1500 books on that card!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Same general problem. After installing a SanDisk 4 GB card, the device would double boot.
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
So is it just a problem with Sandisk cards then?
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote