Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #61
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Does anyone know how a gov't (or other) could monitor Facebook and Twitter accounts?

Is it as simple as somehow searching key words/phrases by users?

What about private chat, that is the chat that is only between particular people and not open to all to see - how is that monitored?

It seems to me that the group to ask how to do it would be the NSA and their ilk around the world, lol
In the case of the US, according the the NSA whistleblower, all they have to do is ask for it and it's turned over to them.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #62
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
In the case of the US, according the the NSA whistleblower, all they have to do is ask for it and it's turned over to them.
Frightening eh!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #63
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Facebook and Twitter or forget it? I say forget it. Many ways to contact someone.

Nothing like people thinking one must join some club because everyone else is doing it....

Sheeple? The last that I heard..... there are many SNS not just two....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Frightening eh!!
Not really, no. I'm sure there are people in the p&r forum who can elaborate.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #65
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No Way do I need to let all the folk that don't have enough life of their own, that they need to live MINE
No FB, TWIT, LINKDIN...

Just MR (and USENET)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #66
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got accounts on both, just to be able to access certain information, but neither account is in my actual name, contain no personal information, and both are tightly locked down.

Facebook has actually been very useful since Superstorm Sandy in regard to the community of folks who suffered damage from the storm. It really was the quickest way to receive and disseminate information when the towns and federal government still didn't know what was what.

I make lightning raids into Facebook when I'm on an actual computer, not a phone or a tablet, because it's too annoying to scroll through all the stuff that way, and there's only about three pages that I check with any regularity because they provide info my family can use.

Other than that, I stay the hell away from social media programs, Bluetooth transmitters and text messaging. Sometimes I'm the only person walking around not looking down into a device or talking into the air, it seems.

Last edited by Xanthe; 07-17-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #67
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post

Other than that, I stay the hell away from social media programs, Bluetooth transmitters and text messaging. Sometimes I'm the only person walking around not looking down into a device or talking into the air, it seems.
YOU! are acting suspicious.

"THEY ARE WATCHING"
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #68
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
you know...all this being watched stuff bothers me...we are paying them to not only hunt us but they are sucking up all our bandwidth to do so.

Really, this monitoring takes connectivity which means, given the sheer volume of data being monitored, a lot of bandwidth. And they already admit to monitoring all cellular traffic (it's to save the children after all). Well that means the data has to be diverted somewhere along the way, right? And to make it happen it is surely being transmitted over the same wires we all use. So who is the real bandwidth hog? I say the NSA and their ilk. The task of monitoring has to double, at least, the bandwidth needed for a phone call or email. Apply scaling to that and there is a bubble that needs popping for sure. hehe
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #69
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No Way do I need to let all the folk that don't have enough life of their own, that they need to live MINE
woot, woot .....

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 07-17-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #70
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Why you should deactivate your Facebook Acct

Quote:
Gazella thank you - that was really insightful info

Does the UAE gov't make it publicly known that it's monitoring all Facebook and Twitter accounts? At least users and potential users know in advance if that is the case.
Oh yes. It was publicly announced by the UAE Chief of Police. The Deputy Director of Anti-Electronic Crimes got interviewed about it and he said the monitoring was not a violation of public freedom, since the content is in a public space for all to see. Facebook and Twitter users are being more cautious now.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #71
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Facebook is a tool. It can be use or abused. Posting every time the baby poops with vivid descriptions, or telling the world that you've just took a shower might be considered abusive. Making connections with old high school friends living 4,000 miles away that you lost contact with 40 years ago might be considered 'good' usage. On the other hand, there is usually a reason WHY you lost contact with these people, and once having re-established communications might wish to sever them again...

... but I've meet distant cousins that I never even knew existed, found ex-lovers or co-workers that I hadn't seen in 30 years. It was fun to hear what they've been doing during all that time, and hear about the roads they followed. A school friends little 8 yr old sister who was a bother when we were 15 is now a grandmother... A student from 20 years ago now in charge of public relations for a State Police, another who passed away from cancer 5 years ago... This is life. Use it correctly or abuse it. It's up to the individual. The medium is not to blame.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #72
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account.

Some years ago I kept getting emails to join various social networks. They all promised the same thing: better connectivity and an easier way to share photos. I signed up for one and realized that I don't want to share photos. I closed the account when they tried to connect me with people with the same last name, probably because they had nothing else to work with and I didn't invite people to join.

I talk to my friends and family via skype, email, telephones if I can't talk to them in person and I'm pretty sure that my grandmothers prefer telephone calls to social networking.

I think that social networks can create dependency. Obviously this isn't a problem if you're not using your account, but if Facebook is at the core of you social life then you can't just quit it. If you use your Facebook account to log in to websites then closing it deletes the information related to that website.

If a prospective employer thinks that you don't have social skills if you are not on Facebook you probably don't want to work there.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #73
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Oh yes. It was publicly announced by the UAE Chief of Police. The Deputy Director of Anti-Electronic Crimes got interviewed about it and he said the monitoring was not a violation of public freedom, since the content is in a public space for all to see. Facebook and Twitter users are being more cautious now.
The UAE authorities seem to be more upfront about their 'surveillance' than other countries who are no doubt doing the same thing - just not making an open disclosure about it.

Though the thing that interests me is if the private or select group of 'friends' communicating to each other can be monitored and how that is happening. It's one thing for the open to all chats to be able to be publicly followed - another for the invite only or private chats. I'm not singling out the UAE on that issue.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #74
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We psychopaths must stick together . I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account either.
Me too. I daren't have a FB account in case I accidently update my status and reveal where the bodies are buried...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I checked my Facebook page about four days ago. Thinking about checking it again in a day or so in case any of my twelve "friends" had anything to say lately. Oh the horror! I feel terrible about contributing to the decline of civilization, but what can I do? I'm hooked... I. can't. get. out. The horror!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote