Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
clemon79
clemon79 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
Ugh. That completely blows. That said, at least I know what's going on now, and it explains why it's funky when it does work.

Too bad there isn't a more-robust format to convert to for the sake of Kindle-viewing. Ah well. I appreciate the information and now I know what the limitations are. I'll just have to figure out a way around it...italicize the passage text or something.

I'm gonna guess MOBI doesn't support the padding attribute, either?

Last edited by clemon79; 01-22-2011 at 01:39 PM.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
MOBI is HTML 3.2 + some proprietary tags
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
MOBI is HTML 3.2 + some proprietary tags
Not being an HTML expert, I'm gonna assume that means that no, padding isn't supported, and we're lucky that it outputs anything at all.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah HTML 3.2 is from the early nineties. CSS didn't exist then.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I find it rather strange that no one's yet 'rooted' kindle to make it opensource, to get around silly crap like mobi restrictions
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
I find it rather strange that no one's yet 'rooted' kindle to make it opensource, to get around silly crap like mobi restrictions
Sure they have. How do you think you install the font and screensaver hacks?

I'm guessing that adding ePub support to the device is a bit more difficult, though.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Savory.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #23
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
According to the author, though, he's using the same Calibre conversion techniques to convert ePub to Mobi, he's just doing it on the fly instead of using an external app, I would guess. Which means that the margin limitations we are experiencing would still exist.