Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #61
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Can anyone help a Windows user get the DRS1000 binary for her DR800SG? ........Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #62
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
It's quite simple if you download a Linux LiveCD distribution, boot it and follow the instructions from the start of the thread.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #63
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Disclamer: I can not guarantee these steps will not cause software instabilities. Well, you already dare to hack your device anyways = prepared I must say I have made HEX compare of the output and the uds file extracted with Linux - the two files are 100% identical.

Linux gurus, can you please confirm this method works?

Jackie, guys. Here's a Windows binary with .bat file doing exactly the needed thing: extract uds binary. The sources are included.

1. Unpack the attachment onto your Windows machine. You'll get the folder jffs2-extract/
2. Get the DR1000 update. Extract one file from it - System/update/rootfs.bin - and copy this to jffs2-extract/bin/
3. run extract.bat
4. rename a new file out.bin to uds.dr1000 - now you've got the file!
5. follow the instructions in this thread

Enjoy!

The approach is generic so you should be able to extract any known file from any given jffs2 image (see bin/extract.bat).
Attached Files
File Type: zip jffs2-extract.zip (96.3 KB, 660 views)

Last edited by dima_tr; 09-13-2010 at 09:15 PM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #64
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Installation Help

No-one else here seems to be having any problem understanding what to do so maybe I am missing something. Here is what I have right now. On my Windows PC I have a directory _DR800+. Under it are a couple of folders one is called new. In new I overwrote the empty UDS.dr1000 with a proper copy of the file. Now I am stuck. I attach the DR800 to my PC and worked with it through Windows explorer. I see folders System, Books and more. I tried copying _DR800+ at the same level as System and Books. I then held the power button off on the 800 to force it to reboot. It started up, indexed my files again and nothing looked any different. I tried copying the Programs folder under System - it didn't make any difference. One entry said that the UDS file should not go under New but directly under _DR800+ so I created a second copy and put it at a different level just in case.

Exactly where does the folder go?
Exactly what should I do after I have copied the folder over (very exactly!)?

Thanks in advance for the help that I get from everyone here.......Jackie
Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #65
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
you put the folder _DR800+ in the program folder and replace the UDS file in the /new subdirectory. Then you go to the SD card, open programs, and run dr800+ desktop. The program will install and reboot by itself (don't press the power button!).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #66
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Here's a Windows binary with .bat file doing exactly the needed thing: extract uds binary. The sources are included.
I have been searching for such a tool (on windows) for some time, THANKS very much for creating/porting it.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #67
jjansen
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
you put the folder _DR800+ in the program folder and replace the UDS file in the /new subdirectory. Then you go to the SD card, open programs, and run dr800+ desktop. The program will install and reboot by itself (don't press the power button!).
Sorry but I am still having problems. I created a directory call "Programs" as I didn't have one. I tried two things. I tried putting the _DR800+ folder under Programs and also the dr800+.desktop file under programs (it was at the same level as the folder on my V2 extract). I also tried moving the entire dr800+-v2 folder under Programs. In both cases I then ejected the drive from Windows (or unplugged the USB - I tried both) navigated to the dr800+.desktop file under SD Card and selected it with the stylus. I always receive the message "The 'dr800+.desktop' application cannot be opened. Possibly the application is already open. Close it first and try again."

I tried removing all the dr800+ stuff, rebooting and then putting it back on. I still get the message. Am I still missing something simple? .........Jackie
Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #68
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Looks like there's a very basic error, e.g. upper/lower case folder or file names. Windows does not care, but Linux on DR does.

You should have
<sdcard>/
..........Programs/
...................._dr800+
....................dr800+.desktop

Make sure the names are in this exact case (e.g. Programs)! Just copy everything from the archive.

Another thing: attach device to Windows, remove the _dr800+ folder and dr800+.desktop file from sdcard, copy them again from archive, Safely Remove drive and then eject. Safely Remove may be important for the proper file copying!

Oh, how do you exctract tar.gz? Some time ago I was reported with an error, apparently the guys managed to do "flat extract" where no folder structure is preserved and all the files inside the archive are put into the same destination directory. For sure, this is a bad approach.

Last edited by dima_tr; 09-14-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #69
jjansen
J

Through Windows Explorer I deleted everything on my iRex drive and reloaded my backup of just the System folder with the update from June. I restarted the DR800. I then reattached it to Windows and created a Programs folder at the same level as the System folder (top level as far as I can tell in Windows). Within Programs is the _dr800+ folder and the dr800+.desktop file. _dr800+ is not flat and contains the folders new and orig (empty) and .png and .sh files with a README. Viewing the .desktop file via Notepad it looks like straight text with no obvious abnormal characters or anything.

After all this and I still get the message that dr800+.desktop cannot be opened.

I am afraid that I am going to have to give up soon because it probably isn't worth other peoples time to try and figure out what I might be doing wrong..............Jackie
Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #70
garywitscher
Enthusiast
garywitscher began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Sounds like all the possibilities have been mentioned, at least any I can think of. Maybe you could post screen-shots of the folder structure so we can be certain that it is correct. Anytime I've had this error pop up it's been a path problem of some sort. Is your uds file named correctly, for example?
garywitscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #71
jjansen
J

Screen shots of my path

Here are three screen shots from Windows Explorer of my iRex. It is my E: drive. If you can see anything here that would be great! This is the only thing that I can think of - other than possibly an invalid uds.dr1000?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800_1.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	58223   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800_2.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	58224   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800_3.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	58225  
Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #72
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
Here are three screen shots from Windows Explorer of my iRex. It is my E: drive. If you can see anything here that would be great! This is the only thing that I can think of - other than possibly an invalid uds.dr1000?
It looks ok.
Are you sure your device's firmware version is 2.0R3?
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #73
jjansen
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
It looks ok.
Are you sure your device's firmware version is 2.0R3?
Software Version 2.0-rc3
Bootloader Version 1.7
Micro Application Version 1.8
Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #74
dima_tr
Groupie

Ok, another try: get RunDebug running (follow the instructions on getting the Lua package) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83999 and the referenced one. Within RunDebug open dr800+.desktop . Read (and post here!) the message why this dr800+ cannot start.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #75
jjansen
J

I copied everything (base, lua, .desktop etc.) over to my DR800SG under Programs and tried to click on RunDebug.desktop. I got exactly the same error as when I clicked on dr800+.desktop.

"The 'RunDebug.desktop' application cannot be opened. Possibly the application is already open. Close it first and try again."

I have this awful feeling that I am doing something very dumb and wasting others time. I really hope not.....................Jackie

Tags
dr800+