Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Your thoughts on book classification codes (BISAC subject headings) as tags?

What are the pros and cons for keeping the code portion of BISAC subject headings as tags?
An example of a BISAC subject heading is FIC022020 FICTION / Mystery & Detective / Police Procedural. What I call the "code portion" in this case is "FIC022020".

There are quite a number of tags in my library that have just the "code portion" (FIC022020) without the "human-understandable" portion (FICTION / Mystery & Detective / Police Procedural).

What are your thoughts on deleting these tags that are just the code portion?

There doesn't seem to be a plugin that can convert code-portion-only tags to the human-understandable subjects. (I checked https://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/).
If there were a way to quickly make such a conversion, that would enrich my tags.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I never go by any tags in the book's metadata. I just delete those tags from the OPF and from TAGS and I'm good to go. I can put in my own tags if I want or if it is a book in a series, the series info. I do not want the tags column clogged up with crap from the eBook that I did not put there. And a lot of it is crap.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use only my own personal tags as well. All tags that come with books get bulk deleted after adding the books to the library. And I don't use metadata download either. I edit metadata manually. Yes, it takes days or even weeks, but I can be sure everything is exactly as I want.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:45 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I use only my own personal tags as well. All tags that come with books get bulk deleted after adding the books to the library. And I don't use metadata download either. I edit metadata manually. Yes, it takes days or even weeks, but I can be sure everything is exactly as I want.
I use a very limited set of tags that I apply myself. Tags that come with the book are removed. I use the individual metadata download which is set to not download tags. Personally, I can't understand the mania for adding so many tags to each book.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Fantasy fiction; American, Fiction, General, Imaginary places, Life on other planets, science fiction

Those are all the tags I ended up with from one book. Only one of them is useful. The rest is rubbish. This is why I delete the tags that are auto created from the mess in the OPF. I do so so I can put in what I want or nothing at all. If the book is part of a series, there usually is no tag. And i usually only put in one tag.

Whoever comes up with the tags has no clue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the book is part of a series, there usually is no tag. And i usually only put in one tag.
Yeah, same here. Well, I only put in one tag for genre, but a couple of others for other things (which device the book is on, whether I want to read it soon or it can wait and so on).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a plugin that can convert code-portion-only tags to the human-understandable subjects.
Actually, the Job Spy plugin has Tag Scrubbing functionality that can easily do what you want. Simply create a .csv file in the appropriate from-to format, upload it to JS using its menu item for that purpose, and run the Tag Scrubbing menu items. The menu path is JS > Metadata Tools > Scrub Tag/Tag-Like columns using Rules Tables.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote