Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Lewis, Sinclair: It Can't Happen Here. v1.0. 2009-11-25

My first posted book

I read recently that the television series V was originally based on this novel by Mr. Lewis, but apparently, the television execs wanted to "sex up" the story by having lizard-aliens infiltrate government instead of normal people. This led me to look for the book, and to find that it was hosted by Project Gutenberg Australia, and not yet posted to MobileRead.

I have kept the text intact, as-is from PGA, but reformatted to fit e-reader screens better. I have also added a cover image (which is apparently in the public domain) from the Wikipedia article on this book.

Excerpt:
Doremus tried to explain himself to these hard-eyed, quick-glancing plotters of ruin.

"Are you willing to become a Party member, in the extremely improbable case that they accept you, and to take orders, any orders, without question?" asked Elphrey, so suavely.

"Do you mean, Am I willing to kill and steal?"

"You've been reading detective stories about the 'Reds'! No. What you'd have to do would be much more difficult than the amusement of using a tommy-gun. Would you be willing to forget you ever were a respectable newspaper editor, giving orders, and walk through the snow, dressed like a bum, to distribute seditious pamphlets--even if, personally, you should believe the pamphlets were of no slightest damn good to the Cause?"

"Why, I--I don't know. Seems to me that as a newspaperman of quite a little training--"

"Hell! Our only trouble is keeping out the 'trained newspapermen'! What we need is trained bill-posters that like the smell of flour paste and hate sleeping. And--but you're a little old for this--crazy fanatics that go out and start strikes, knowing they'll get beaten up and thrown in the bull pen."
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub It Can't Happen Here - Sinclair Lewis.epub (396.3 KB, 709 views)
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Thanks, radius! I've wanted to read this for a while. It looks great on my 505. Well done!
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Tony Foley
Tony Foley began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Thanks, Radius! Well done.

I'm new here and also interested in producing ebooks. Could you give me a brief outline of your methods. I feel slightly overwhelmed by the posts on the site.
Thanks Tony.
Tony Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks Radius. Always appreciate new books. And grats to your first eBook posted
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I'm just happy there are potential readers :P

Tony, I've written up a short blurb here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=670049

If you want to ask about anything in more detail, let me know.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
owenfinn
owenfinn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Kindle 3
Brilliant! Thank you very much!
owenfinn is offline   Reply With Quote