Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
... Why does the 6 inch model come with USB 1.1 and the 5 inch model have USB 2.2? As near as I can find out, the 6 incher came on the market just this year. USB 2.2 has been around since 2000-2001.

Gary
I gave this some thought, and this is my personal take on it.

The main reason for the USB cord will be for charging, not really for book transfers. I mean, yes, you can use it for transfers, but 90% of the time that the unit is plugged in will be solely for charging. (the percentage is based on assumption and not taking into consideration any official documentation of any kind).

As mentioned, any file transfers to the SD card can simply be made by an SD card reader, if you really must get Harry Potter on your device NOW!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I gave this some thought, and this is my personal take on it.

The main reason for the USB cord will be for charging, not really for book transfers. I mean, yes, you can use it for transfers, but 90% of the time that the unit is plugged in will be solely for charging. (the percentage is based on assumption and not taking into consideration any official documentation of any kind).

As mentioned, any file transfers to the SD card can simply be made by an SD card reader, if you really must get Harry Potter on your device NOW!
That is exactly how I use my EZ-Reader - I never use the USB cord for transferring files - I use the SD Card and the card reader on my Netbook.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Both 6 inch and 5 inch have USB 2.0

Dear All:

All specs from the factory tell us that both the 5 inch Pocket PRO and the 6 inch EZ Reader Basic have 2.0 USB.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Don't know much about Hanlin readers, but my experience with the SD card in my Kindle 1 was that I put a lot of books on it and then had problems with keeping track of them due to no folder scheme. The more books you have on an SD, the longer it takes to find the one you want to read. If you go for a mega-huge card, and lots and lots of books, I strongly recommend using Calibre (available here at MR) to catalog your books.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The latest TTS is on Pocket PRO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
It will be interesting to hear how good the TTS is. When I first heard of it on the Kindle2 I thought it would be useless (reading by a computer voice). However, I have been pleasantly surprised by how often I use it. When I'm driving, at the gymn and while I am doing chores and other stuff. And then I can switch back to reading when its convenient.

Now somewhere on these boards, I heard this described as "1st generation TTS" on the pocket pro. If it's as good as the Kindle2 it will definitely be useful, and if so this will lead me to keep the Astak firmware in place instead of OpenInkpot and other alternatives.

Question for RobertB, what formats support TTS? Currently, most of my files are .mobi. Will TTS work with this, or will I need to convert them?
I have no idea how rumors get started but there are two recurring rumours that bother me. The TTS is not "1st Generation" versus something else on the Kindle 2. Our TTS is state-of-the-art at present. If anything, it is improved over the Kindle TTS. I have heard both and the Pocket PRO seems much closer to human speech pattern. PLEASE, we have more than enough questions getting answered than to launch in falsehoods and rumours. It is as good as it gets on the Pocket PRO.

The other rumor is that the 6 inch has 1.1 USB. It has 2.0 and I have not heard any other remote complaint that our USB is slow. It IS what it is: 2.0!!
As the Pocket PRO TTS does not work yet with EPUB or PDF (but does work with most other formats) I surmize that it will work with your Mobi IF it is non-DRM. DRM Mobi is exclusive and will not work on the EZ Reader or Pocket PRO as both have Adobe Digital Editions!! Mobi sets this rule and not us.

I have not tried TTS yet with Mobi as we try very hard to steer clear of Mobi.
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
Robertb

Very good suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Don't know much about Hanlin readers, but my experience with the SD card in my Kindle 1 was that I put a lot of books on it and then had problems with keeping track of them due to no folder scheme. The more books you have on an SD, the longer it takes to find the one you want to read. If you go for a mega-huge card, and lots and lots of books, I strongly recommend using Calibre (available here at MR) to catalog your books.
Thank you. I also hear great things about calibre but have no time to try it yet. I appreciate your helping others herein!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

The other rumor is that the 6 inch has 1.1 USB. It has 2.0 and I have not heard any other remote complaint that our USB is slow. It IS what it is: 2.0!!
You are aware that your website says the 6" EZ Reader is USB 1.1?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #23
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
This is how rumors get started.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #24
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I thought both EZ Reader and Pocket Pro have folder support, which would make it a lot easier to navigate large amounts of books than Kindle, which as far as I know only sorts by title or author.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The other rumor is that the 6 inch has 1.1 USB. It has 2.0 and I have not heard any other remote complaint that our USB is slow.
Jinke's own Hanlin eReader V3 Product Pamphlet says it is USB 1.1.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
Robertb

Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Dear John F:

Thank you sincerely. We will get this straightened out. I will ask the factory as I may be wrong!

Thank you for bringing it to my attention!!

I DO know that as most eBooks are 500MB... it seems to be a rather moot point. They go in a matter of seconds.

Last edited by Robertb; 08-24-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I thought both EZ Reader and Pocket Pro have folder support, which would make it a lot easier to navigate large amounts of books than Kindle, which as far as I know only sorts by title or author.
Yes, the EZ-Reader does have folder support and the Pocket Pro will also support folders (this was mention somewhere here a while back).
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
Robertb

EZ Reader Basic and Pocket PRO sorting

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Dear frozennorth:

You can sort by Title, By Author, or By Date, plus have the information in any order composed of the three.

I also like to further create my own folders for: Music, Crime, Comedy, non-Fiction, etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #29
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I DO know that as most eBooks are 500MB... it seems to be a rather moot point. They go in a matter of seconds.
Aehm ... Aehm ... Aehm ...
You probably wanted to say 500KB
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #30
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Aehm ... Aehm ... Aehm ...
You probably wanted to say 500KB
Hehehehehe
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote