Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Robert Williams
Connoisseur
Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
First timer on this board...

Hi guys,

This is my first posting on mobileread.com!

I'm publishing my first collection of short stories on Amazon Kindle. It's called Strange Times.

These stories represent about seven years of my life. They've been published in various ezines and websites over the years ever since my first short story appeared in 2002. Inside you have something for everyone: science fiction, horror, mystery, historical fiction and literary fiction.

To stir up interest, I've also made the stories available individually for 0.99 a piece. If you buy the book, you get an additional story for free.

They are:

The Experiment
Graymalkin
The Greap Escape
A Jar of Insects
Mary Rogers
The Glory Train
Would You Like to Save a Man's Life?
Shapeshifters Anonymous
Child of the Lamia
Pretty
The Land Yet Unwritten
The Man Upstairs

I hope you guys will check them out. Please do reply back and let me know what you think of the stories, or better yet, post a review on Amazon. Thanks for your time!
Robert Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hi Robert! Welcome :-) I hope you have fun here, and get some reviews.

'Scuse me while I wander off muttering about Amazon and its US-centricity...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Robert, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Hi Robert and welcome aboard you will find plenty of helpful friendly people here.

By not owning a Kindle I and a lot of other people here are not going to be able to read your work . You are depriving yourself of a very large number of readers by restricting your work to just one device.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
ravenlife
Connoisseur
ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
i agree with Chris,

im not going to buy a kindle so im not going to read your work, its really that simple if there is no choice,

im not sure how you deal with amazon works, but its not too difficult to set up your own site and sell your own work in different formats (possibly you could place a link in your amazon description - again not sure on the T&C) theres also many other sites that sell electronic versions in different formats
ravenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Robert Williams
Connoisseur
Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!Robert Williams rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks for the welcome guys! Different formats for the stories should be coming up. Just wanted to get the word out for the Kindle people. I'll post updates here as soon as the other formats become available.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi Robert and welcome to the forum. i'm another person who can't buy anything from amazon (i live in france), luckily there are other options available to you : feedbooks will allow you to publish your work in all formats, very easily, and it gets a lot of traffic ; the most-downloaded independently published books on the site are getting close to the 10,000 downloads mark ! and smashwords is another site which will allow you to publish your own books easily. so far, feedbooks doesn't have a commercial section (for paid downloads) but it's coming soon. don't hesitate to ask if you've got any questions, there are plenty of people around who are happy to help.

let us know when your books are available outside of amazon !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Robert Williams
Connoisseur

Thanks zelda!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Robert & welcome to MobileRead. We're thrilled when authors drop in to tell us about their books.

As you've already noticed, we're an international group and those living outside the US find it difficult to obtain a Kindle. Even among the US members, the Kindle isn't universally owned. Zelda gave you some good leads to sites that will allow you to publish your book in various formats. Feedbooks even does all the format conversion for you -- but for now, all they are set up for are free/Creative Commons books. Some of the authors who have posted here have had success selling from their web sites. Jeffrey Carver stepped in to offer free downloads and was talking into setting up a "tip jar" similar to Smashwords' "choose your own price" option.

So welcome to MobileRead. I wish you success as an author and good reviews.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Robert Williams
Connoisseur

Thanks Elsi. I'm looking into getting another ebook option set up. I have make sure it is okay with Amazon as well.