Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
hyperact
hyperact began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 700
Calibre crashes Finder in OS X

When I attach my Sony Reader to my Mac via the USB port, it mounts normally and Calibre is able to access and download books to it. But when I try to remove the device, the Finder freezes. No Finder menus work, including the Restart or Shutdown menus, so I can't even restart the machine. I am forced to do a hard reset with the power button. If I don't do that pretty quick, other apps start to fail and I get a system-wide crash.

I have tried dismounting the reader before quitting Calibre, and also the other way -- quitting Calibre and then dismounting the device. The result is the same either way. The Sony hard drive icon remains on the desktop but Finder reports the device cannot be found. Then Finder freezes. There is no spinning rainbow cursor, the Finder just stops responding to any input at all.

The last version of Calibre that I have been able to work with normally is version 0.5.1, which responds correctly to a device dismount. Does anyone know what's wrong?
hyperact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
hyperact

I forgot to mention, this is on Tiger, OS 10.4.11.
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't mount your device or unmount it on OS X. That is handled by the OS, so your problem is not related to calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Have you tried ejecting it from DiskUtility ?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
hyperact

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre doesn't mount your device or unmount it on OS X. That is handled by the OS, so your problem is not related to calibre.
Seems like it is. It only happens after I've used Calibre, and only with the latest versions. I am able to unmount the reader from the Finder normally if Calibre hasn't been opened. If I use Calibre 0.5.1 it works okay.

What it looks like to me is that Calibre isn't fully releasing the volume after use. From the other thread I saw, it sounds like in Leopard you get the "in use" warning (no crash, though the volume can't be ejected) but in Tiger the Finder just dies.
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
hyperact

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Have you tried ejecting it from DiskUtility ?
I haven't, but that's a good idea. I'll try it next time. Having to save all my work and power-cycle the Mac is getting tiresome. Mainly I've gone back to version 0.5.1 where it works normally, but I'd like to stay current if I can. I use Calibre a lot and I like it very much.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I would say go into process viewer after you exit Calibre (the newer version) and see if there's a calibre-parallel.exe running. If so, kill it. That should free up the volume.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperact View Post
What it looks like to me is that Calibre isn't fully releasing the volume after use.
Open the terminal app. Run the following and post the output file here:

Code:
lsof > open_files.txt
The lsof command lists all processes and all of the files they have open.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Even if calibre is not releasing all open file handles, it still shouldn't cause a crash in Finder, just a message about the volume still being in use when you try to eject it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
hyperact

I braced myself for a series of restarts and did some tests with the latest version -- and I can't repeat the error now. I hate when that happens, though I suppose it is good news. It's very odd, because until today the problem happened with every version of Calibre since 0.5.1, and I waited through three or four new releases before writing in hopes that each one would fix it. I guess I'll just continue using 0.5.6 and the next time the issue occurs I will follow the advice here and see what I get. I'll report back if I have any new results.

This is very puzzling.