Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
The Jim Butcher Process

If you're a fan of the Dresden files, even if you're not, this selection of Livejournal postings by Dresden Files author Jim Butcher is very useful. They detail his process from initial story idea to writing the novel (including the "difficult" middle bit).

Butcher's approach is very much like the Dwight V Swain method (scene/sequel) but a lot more accessible than Swain's book "Techniques of the Selling Writer". These tips are great for plotting, and especially useful when it comes to editing for story flow.

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/

I've compiled these into an ePub for my own personal use, and I advise you to do the same as this stuff is invaluable.

EDIT: Also this article on Writing your Scene is a good overall view of the Swain method
http://richardtortorici.com/?p=11

EDIT 2: I would put up the ePub here, but the web page in question is under Copyright, so that's a no-no (damn why couldn't he just license it under Creative Commons)

Last edited by Moejoe; 04-10-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks for that - it's excellent! i've already saved it and read the first few (which are, of course, last on the page).

have you read the eddings "The Rivan Codex"? also very handy that way as it shows how they crafted the entire world before they started the writing.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I read through those on Jim's blog a while back; they seem pretty standard advice. I did especially like his "No. And furthermore..." section on conflict resolution; it's a great device for ratcheting up the tension and extending the plot.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My method is a lot like Jim's, with the major exception that I record my notes electronically. Makes 'em easier to change and edit, and I don't have to worry about stray animals and kids scattering my notes.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
I found this very useful, a sort of summary of various ideas that swim around in my head and often confuse me!

I have a novella that was released on my birthday this month--May 7th, and another at the publisher waiting to come out. Writing the next novel is proving a weird experience. At first I was writing fast and it seemed easy--those were the scenes. Then I realized something was missing--those were the sequels. Now I have to go back and write them in!
Sherry
Sherry King's Paranormal Romance Stories
Heroes and Lovers. Madmen and Monsters.
We're all a bit of each deep down.
http://sherryking-paranormalromance-books.com/
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert