Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #31
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Around 29MB.

Thanks, obviously I had a good file, still think it was memory issues.

I got my 90M back - it seemed to be lost in a trash file - gotta love the terminal!

Although, I have to admit, that turned into a whole lot of work for a whole lot of nothing!
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #32
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
My biggest gripe with Amazon today (somewhat unrelated) is that I got an email stating that they were resetting my password due to recent phishing activities and they wanted to be safe. And they didn't tell me what they reset it to so they are asking that I log in and go to the "forgot password" page and put in my info again and then change the password.

At first I ignored the email thinking that it was a scam, but sure enough, I go in to get my free "women and money" ebook and my password doesn't work. I go through all the hoops and they don't recognize my info.

My co-worker is going through the same thing. Why would Amazon change my password just because other people are foolish enough to fall for phishing scams?!?! Very irritating.

Ok, done complaining! My update worked and my books still work, but I didn't notice any new screen savers...

EDIT: Ok, I take back my rant. I called customer service and I was on hold for less than one minute and they fixed my account right away. So it wasn't a scam it and it got fixed quick. Yay! They really rocked on fixing this so fast.

Last edited by tsgreer; 02-14-2008 at 05:20 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #33
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Thanks, obviously I had a good file, still think it was memory issues.

I got my 90M back - it seemed to be lost in a trash file - gotta love the terminal!

Although, I have to admit, that turned into a whole lot of work for a whole lot of nothing!
Yeah. I was going to mention that. When you delete stuff on an external drive in mac, the deleted items are sent to a hidden folder on the drive until you empty the trash can. More mac users should know that if they don't empty the trash before ejecting the drive they haven't really deleted the items.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I found a copy of the old user's manual

There is new material in section 3.6. It looks like a new menu was added for playing audiobooks. This section is completely new.

8.4 Audiobooks and Music
There are two types of materials you can listen to on Kindle. You can purchase, transfer, and play audiobooks from Audible.com, and you can transfer MP3 files to Kindle to play as background music while you read.

Audiobooks from Audible.com
Kindle supports the thousands of audiobooks available through Audible.com. You can purchase and download one or more of these books through your Windows-based computer using AudibleManager software supplied by Audible or iTunes on your Macintosh. You can then transfer these books to your Kindle over USB or using an SD memory card, and listen to them on your Kindle.

Audiobook Formats for Kindle
Audible offers four versions of its audiobook format. Kindle is compatible with formats 2, 3, and 4. Format 1 and audiobooks provided from other sources are not supported.

Activation, Purchase, Download, and Transfer
You must have access to a Windows-based computer running the latest AudibleManager to activate your Kindle. To activate for use with Audible content, follow these steps. :

1. Using a Windows-based computer, go to Audible.com at http://www.audible.com/kindle.
2. If you are not already an Audible customer, follow the prompts to create your Audible account.
3. Download and install the latest AudibleManager software.
4. Launch AudibleManager and connect your Kindle.
5. Activate your Kindle using the Activate... command under Devices in AudibleManager. This will authorize your Kindle to play the audiobooks you purchase at Audible.com.

Tip: If you are a Macintosh user, you need to connect your Kindle to a Windows-based computer running AudibleManager to authorize your Kindle. You may be able to authorize your Kindle running AudibleManager on Windows on your Macintosh if you have your Macintosh configured to run Windows. Once authorized with your Audible credentials, you can then use Audible files downloaded through AudibleManager under Windows or iTunes by copying them to your Kindle.

Once you have activated your Kindle, you can purchase and transfer files using the AudibleManager software. If you are a Macintosh user, you will need to copy Audible content in your iTunes library to the "Audible" folder on your Kindle. Once on your Kindle, an Audible file will be displayed on your Home screen with your other documents. The file will have a small speaker icon at the end of the title to indicate that it is an audiobook.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The attached picture was not in the old manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Menu.JPG
Views:	1112
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	10349  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Tip: If you are a Macintosh user, you need to connect your Kindle to a Windows-based computer running AudibleManager to authorize your Kindle.
This has got to be the lamest line I have ever seen in a hardware manual to date! It just beats out "this page intentionally left blank".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #37
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This has got to be the lamest line I have ever seen in a hardware manual to date! It just beats out "this page intentionally left blank".

BOb
its just to authorize your kindle.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #38
Hoodwink
Hoodwink began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3g, Kindle v1
.BIN file

Quote:
Around 29MB.
Since Amazon has taken down the download link for direct USB upgrades perhaps some kind soul will upload it to a file sharing site (such as Rapidshare)?
Hoodwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #39
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
Since Amazon has taken down the download link for direct USB upgrades perhaps some kind soul will upload it to a file sharing site (such as Rapidshare)?
You may want to wait a bit, it seems like it wasn't quite ready for prime-time. I upgraded mine and it seems to be a bit buggy. I have froze my screen twice and had to restart since I upgraded and I never had to do that before.

I haven't added any more books or anything, so I can only suspect that the upgrade is to blame. Also, at random times, a book I am reading will close in the middle of a page-turn. Nothing too major since I just click on the book again, but I wouldn't want it to do this forever.

But it does have new screen saver images. They are mixed in with some of the old ones.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
its just to authorize your kindle.

-d
I understand, but still. If you are a "Macintosh user" by definition you probably don't have a Windows machine. And, if you DID I think you are smart enough to know that you could use it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #41
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
OK, I'm confused. Thought I'd try the upgrade, so turned on the wireless, waited until got the full number of bars, put it to sleep, waited 15 minutes, but nothing happened.

When I went to settings, still the Ver 1.0 listed. What did I do wrong?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #42
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Did you get an e-mail:
Quote:
To make the update process as effective as possible for all of our customers, not all Kindle users will receive the software update wirelessly at the same time. You'll be notified via e-mail when the software update is available for your Kindle. If you have not received this e-mail, please be patient--it's coming.
I have not received an e-mail yet either.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #43
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I understand, but still. If you are a "Macintosh user" by definition you probably don't have a Windows machine. And, if you DID I think you are smart enough to know that you could use it.

BOb
Yeah, it is at least better than Sony...

I really don't understand all these mac whining. How about linux then?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #44
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I applied the update to my better half's Kindle and upon reboot it turned into a Sony reader
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #45
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Yeah, it is at least better than Sony...

I really don't understand all these mac whining. How about linux then?
Will it work with a Windows emulator maybe?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote