Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
sam_uk
sam_uk began at the beginning.

Device: Android
_Very Minimal install_ Borked

So I used the Sony firmware to upgrade my PRS t1 reader to 1.0.05.11130

I then installed the 'Development release' of Absolutely Minimal Root (AMR)

From here:
http://sonyfmngr.sourceforge.net/prsT1.htm

Ran it and it failed to root first time.

So I ran it again and this time it rooted. I got the third home screen on the reader. However this just contains: 'settings' and 'SuperSu', no terminal, no root explorer..

So I tried to download root explorer via a browser but I get a error message 'no space on device' remove some apps and try again.

However as I said above I have barely any apps installed.

The other thing I notice is that when I mount the reader on a windows machine I still see three partitions: D settings, E (sd card) and F Reader. But windows no longer knows that device F is READER, it just shows it as another drive.

Also whenever I reboot the reader it forgets I have already set language locatation etc and asks me again.

What's gone wrong here? and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Sam
sam_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_uk View Post
What's gone wrong here? and how can I fix it?
My recommendation would be to restore the reader using the backup (I assume you made one!). Then wait until the root package is not a development version anymore or retry. It is already fishy you had to try it two times, so maybe something screwed up the first time.

You could also use one of the restore packages from porkupan. The only package that gave me the same problem as you have now was the restore package from uboot.

I have not rooted my reader after 1.05 firmware came out so I can't confirm or refute your findings. It used to work fine on the 1.04 firmware.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
sam_uk

Thanks for reply

Foolishly I did not make a backup.

Is it worth trying a re-flash with the official sony firmware?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Use proper restore set from porkupan rather than official firmware...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
sam_uk

I had a look at uboot as it is a closer version number to the firmware I have.

The readme says:

IT IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR ANY OTHER FIRMWARE VERSION AS THE KERNEL IS ASSUMED TO BE 1.04 COMPATIBLE

This concerned me that I might end up with a bricked device.

Do you reckon porkupan's will be OK?

Incidentally the reason I went for 10.5 rather than 10.4 is that Sony seem to have removed the updater that goes to 10.4.

If anyone has this software lying around it would be useful if it could be uploaded somewhere and linked to from the wiki. The current link goes to the (dead) sony updater link.
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
sam_uk

Hi I didn't make a backup because I was a bit unclear on the process. Is this a reasonable set of instructions?

--How to make a backup.--

Be careful doing this. You can completely break your device if you are not careful!

We are going to create a disk image using 'rupor' rescue, then use roadkill to save a copy of the image to your computer so you can use it later if you need to restore.

1) Download this file: http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...upor-rescue.7z

2) Extract it and copy it to the root of your sd card

3)Reboot your reader whilst holding down <home> & <menu>

4) If windows pops up a window and asks you if you would like to format a device say _NO_! This is a image of the software on your reader.

5) Download, install & open this: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-r...VM3mr5QbBZD4_A

You should see a whole bunch of stuff mounted? Great let's move on

6)Download, install & open this: http://www.roadkil.net/program.php%3...ZRBeJNALxQE85w

Use Roadkill to copy the image It must have a size 1.82GB
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
sam_uk

OK the Porkupan update seems to have fixed some stuff. I can now log in without entering my language etc.

Of course I lost root when I did that. I still have the 1.0.05.11130 kernel so I ran the development version of this again: http://sonyfmngr.sourceforge.net/prsT1.htm

The terminal gives no errors but after rebooting the device I still have no root..

Thanks for the help so far.

Sam
Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Do you have script.log of your latest attempt? It should be on your READER disk (internal memory). When you were running flash_reader.bat what did screen said? Did you look at it? What does it mean - gave no errors? Did it ask you about READER disk?
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
sam_uk

I have solved this now. I noticed that the orange light flashes on reboot after rooting. So guessed it went into recovery mode.

I had left the SD card in it with Porkupan's rescue image on it which was confusing things.

After removing the card I am now rooted

Thanks for all your help everyone, and especially Rupor!

Thanks

Sam